Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What solvents do we like?

On Sep 1, 4:02 pm, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:
I use Chloro-Kleen which I purchased years ago when it was legal.
Unfortunately it's running out now and I was wondering what all you guys
like...

I use isopropyl for some stuff, and MEK for cleaning flux from boards, but
nothing beat Chloro-Kleen for rubber parts...

Mark

In no particular order:

Ammonia
Dilute Lye or spray lye-based oven cleaner (best grease, skunge &
paint remover bar-none for those surfaces that can accept it and may
be cleaned with water afterwards).
91%+ Isopropyl Alcohol
Acetone
Petroleum Naptha (standard paint-thinner)
Methylene Chloride - outdoors in a breeze only
MEK where lye cannot be used - as above.
Olive Oil (try it on gummed areas, just once if you are surprised.
Almost any cooking oil will do something, but Olive Oil has a high
percentage of Oleic Acid in it).
Methyl salicylate (synthetic oil-of-wintergreen) for non-residue
penetrating-oil applications if you can stand the smell.
Penetrating oil.
WD-40 (actually light-fraction kerosene).
Stove Alcohol (methyl alcohol) - not good on many plastics so be
careful.

About covers it.
Due cautions for HTA explosive potentials are to be noted.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Kutztown Space 338