Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Paving one side of a driveway

on 9/4/2007 10:47 AM DA said the following:
Hello all,

I know it's a stupid problem to deal with but wonder if someone can offer
some insight on what might be the implication of paving only one half of
an approx. 20 ft wide 40 ft long driveway. The neighbour does not want to
pave his side and mine is pretty badly deteriorated due to its being lower
and water pooling on it after heavy rain.
Aside from looking just silly, is there a potential downside to paving ony
one side of a driveway?
Thanks!

I don't think that it would look silly. I've seen it done and it shows
that the paved portion is yours.

I hate shared driveways. Do you know how many neighbor disputes are over
shared driveways? I don't have a count, but I used to have to respond to
them.
Someone parked over the line a little, or even too close to the line, or
unknowing guests parking on the wrong side, or one mowing their lawn and
the clippings blowing over their driveway half. Even so far as newsboys
throwing the newspaper on the wrong side.
Admittedly, these people are a little over-possessive or nuts.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY