Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Tool Sharpening

In article m, Neillarson wrote:
Anybody using a Tormek/Jet wet sharpener on their lathe tools?

Yep (Tormek). Couldn't be happier.

I have a Jet that I use for my chisles and planes but I use my Delta
23-710 slow speed grinder with a white wheel for the lathe tools. I do
notice that I have to dress the wheel a LOT more

Need to dress the Tormek only rarely.

and that the bevels
are not as neat and clean as I would like.

Not an issue at all on the Tormek, IME.

I wonder if I would get a
longer lasting edge on my Jet even though it would be very tedious and
slow ( I would think ).

It's tedious and slow the first time you grind it. After that, touching it up
takes only a few minutes -- which IME is one of the biggest benefits of the
Tormek: it's so quick and easy to touch up an edge that's no longer totally
sharp, that I find myself doing it more often, and hence I'm using sharper
tools more of the time.

Maybe it is time to get a better slow speed grinder, the delta wheels
are not that great, they wear REAL fast and are such a small diameter
I worry about the amount of hollow grind. It is only about 5" in
diameter.

Any recomendations?

Tormek!

--