Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Philips home CD recorder pickups

"Ken G." wrote in message
Actually i have taked the decks all apart to clean lenses , reseat
connectors and just inspect . On one i took the CDR pickup out and took
the plastic cover off to see if i could clean anything under the lens .
I noticed the plastic lens suspention sitting off center so i man
handled it around till it stayed centered . After that that CDR deck
``so far`` plays fine but i feel it is still on its last leg .
I found the little beam adjustement that i am guessing turns up the
laser beam on the play only deck and turned it up just a tiny bit and it
played longer but still froze the machine later .

I understand the PC being a good recorder but these home units are so
handy & easy to go use .

Yes, my friend likes his for the same reason. He gets discs from the lending
library, and just does an 'on-the-fly' copy for himself. Just for
information, it is not considered good practice on most machines, to adjust
the laser power pot. It will usually result in either rapid demise of a
previously functional laser, or a rapid acceleration in the failure of one
that's 'on its way'. A notable exception to this rule is with most of the
earlier Pioneer lasers, where setting the output power, is an integral part
of the overall setting up procedure.

Arfa