Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Philips home CD recorder pickups

Any hope at finding these ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken G." wrote in message
Any hope at finding these ?

Little, unless you're a Philips dealer or hold a Philips spares account.
They will supply them, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone who does
them as a second source supplier. Most of the Philips CD recorders that I've
seen over the years have been dual deck jobs with a play only and a
play/record deck, and in most cases I've found it to be the play only laser
that was faulty. The one on the record deck has seemed to be pretty
reliable, although I have changed a couple.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have 2 of these dual decks that have a ``Onkyo`` name on them but the
insides are all Philips .

On one deck both sides just stop playing after about 5 minutes , disk
spinning and freezes all buttons . power off & back on and it repeats
that .

The second deck the player side only does this but it lasts 4 or 5 songs
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken G." wrote in message
I have 2 of these dual decks that have a ``Onkyo`` name on them but the
insides are all Philips .

On one deck both sides just stop playing after about 5 minutes , disk
spinning and freezes all buttons . power off & back on and it repeats
that .

The second deck the player side only does this but it lasts 4 or 5 songs
.
Both units look like brand new . I have checked both power supplys and
swapped decks around and the problems follow the decks .
Shame .. these are great little units to put vinyl records onto disk.

Have you had a good physical look at the decks ? Just a thought as a friend
of mine bought a couple of these at a show as not working, and had problems
pretty similar to what you are experiencing. On both, there were objects
stuck in the drive that shouldn't have been there. Well, that's not quite
true, they *should* have been there, but only one of them ... For instance,
one of them had a complete duplicate disc clamp jammed in the back of the
deck. Another had a gear that shouldn't have been there, as I recall,
although it's been a few years back now. I felt that they were ones that had
had bits fall in them on the production line, so had failed test and just
been rejected. Philips don't seem to do much with such failures, other than
to sell them on. Another friend of mine works for a company in the next
town, that does nothing but refurb and re-sell Philips stuff, which they buy
by the pallet load, straight from Philips.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Actually i have taked the decks all apart to clean lenses , reseat
connectors and just inspect . On one i took the CDR pickup out and took
the plastic cover off to see if i could clean anything under the lens .
I noticed the plastic lens suspention sitting off center so i man
handled it around till it stayed centered . After that that CDR deck
``so far`` plays fine but i feel it is still on its last leg .
I found the little beam adjustement that i am guessing turns up the
laser beam on the play only deck and turned it up just a tiny bit and it
played longer but still froze the machine later .

I understand the PC being a good recorder but these home units are so
handy & easy to go use .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken G." wrote in message
Actually i have taked the decks all apart to clean lenses , reseat
connectors and just inspect . On one i took the CDR pickup out and took
the plastic cover off to see if i could clean anything under the lens .
I noticed the plastic lens suspention sitting off center so i man
handled it around till it stayed centered . After that that CDR deck
``so far`` plays fine but i feel it is still on its last leg .
I found the little beam adjustement that i am guessing turns up the
laser beam on the play only deck and turned it up just a tiny bit and it
played longer but still froze the machine later .

I understand the PC being a good recorder but these home units are so
handy & easy to go use .

Yes, my friend likes his for the same reason. He gets discs from the lending
library, and just does an 'on-the-fly' copy for himself. Just for
information, it is not considered good practice on most machines, to adjust
the laser power pot. It will usually result in either rapid demise of a
previously functional laser, or a rapid acceleration in the failure of one
that's 'on its way'. A notable exception to this rule is with most of the
earlier Pioneer lasers, where setting the output power, is an integral part
of the overall setting up procedure.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have had good luck turning that power pot up on several cd players .
They were useless anyway . It works well on those Aiwa bookshelf stereos
and some PS2 .