Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default What solvents do we like?

Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 17:45:35 -0600, Ken G. wrote:
Goof off , formbys refinisher , westleys tire cleaner , wd-40 , windex

And 409. Can really work wonders on the grime left on exterior surfaces
(viz control panels and keyboards.) DO NOT SPRAY DIRECTLY ON the device.
Rather, spray a cleaning rag heavily and work with that. Sometimes
laying the cloth over 'stubborn' areas and letting it soak works a treat.

I second Goof Off -- but be careful with some plastics.

Jonesy

As long as we're doing commercial cleaners, I'm putting in a plug for
Simple Green and Clorox Cleanup. The SG been around long enough that
most know it's properties, but the CC stuff is pretty amazing (just
don't get it on your clothes--it's mostly bleach).

'Off label' use: Ants.
Ever have an infestation of those little buggers? You wipe them up, and
spray them with poison and they come right back. Instead, spray Clorox
Cleanup directly on them, and the entire trail leading back to wherever
they're coming from. It kills 'em instantly and obliterates the scent
trail they lay down for navigation from the nest...they won't be back.

IMO, much preferable to the various poisons they sell for the purpose.

jak