Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] is offline

Default What solvents do we like?

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 1, 1:02 pm, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:
I use Chloro-Kleen which I purchased years ago when it was legal.
Unfortunately it's running out now and I was wondering what all

you guys
like...

I use isopropyl for some stuff, and MEK for cleaning flux from

boards, but
nothing beat Chloro-Kleen for rubber parts...

Mark Z.

I use this stuff for removing flux. It's not the fastest dissolver but
I've never seen it damage anything.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/4140.html

Flame time. I also use Xylene. This _NASTY_ stuff was the official
head cleaner for Ampex 1" type C video recorder and it is drastically
superior to any alcohols. Any tape residue on guides, heads and
capstans will come off in seconds but it destroys styrenes. For laughs
I tried it on some rubber pinch rollers in Sony Betcam SP decks. If
the rollers have less than 1000 hrs run time, they will look virtually
new with a Xylene scrub. You can get Xylene at Home Depot for $12/
gallon.

GG

I'd forgotten about Xylene - maybe the brain cells died from smelling it in
magic markers.

:-)

Mark Z.