Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Since welding group is still clogged up...

Stuart Wheaton wrote:

He is not planning on making this piece back into a shooter, but would
like it to be able to be handled and operated. I have both a tig
machine and a plumbers torch, and I am torn between silver soldering it,
tig brazing it, and welding it. I think in terms of added heat and
potential disasters, that soldering is the safest of the options. Will
silver soldered steel hold up to use, is there prep that I need to do?
I've silver soldered brass and copper stuff but never steel. I assume
the same flux will do.

If it is a nice clean break I'd use silver braze. I bought some 56% silver
stuff a while back on advice from the list and have used it to effect
emergency repairs on a lot of broken bits of metal at work that are
stressed.

Clean, Clean, Clean, black flux, thin piece of silver braze between surfaces
(hammer it thin if needed), orient so that capillary attraction can suck
things together.

If I can do it you can too.

Wes