Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

Default plywood platform or wood slats bed

I like the idea. I have another bed to make for one of my grandson. I like
the design that allows me to dry fit all the parts and then take everything
apart for transport It is surprising how much I can put in the trunk of
my car with the rear seats down.

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message

wrote in message
I like the idea of single dovetail.
Its just that for me the tooling I have was better suited hidden sluts
and dowels.
Maybe after making the proper fixture to use with the standard router I
can using the single dovetail system.
Conversely, it may be about time that I get a dedicated shaper with
ground cast iron table or make a proper routing table.

I should have said 3/4" slats. :-)
Actually no fixtures are required. You cut the dovetails in the end of the
board with a hand saw. A cheap pull saw will do the job. I prefer the
English saws. but that's beside the point.

To lock the slats in place, make 1" wide blocks 2' - 3' long, what ever
the slat spacing dictates. Cut the ends of these spacing blocks to the
same angle as the dovetail and it becomes part of the joint. I usually use
1:6 rise on the angles.
If these don't fit up perfectly, it doesn't matter, but I predict after
you cut 3 or 4, you will be pleased. The spacer blocks should be the same
thickness as the slats. I screw the spacer blocks in place with # 10
counter sunk wood screws, maybe 4 to a block.