Old August 30th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default plywood platform or wood slats bed

Making a bed where no box spring will be used.. For years I have always
opted for using a maple plywood platform over using slats... I guess the
original decision came from one... slats do take a lot of wood.. and my junk
bed at home, which is old but has maple slats that do sag.. so on my beds I
use the rails around the bed and then install 3 beefy rails across the bed
and lay the plywood on top... Queen bed..
What's your approach ??

Joel

Old August 30th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 29, 9:41 pm, "dwolf" wrote:
Making a bed where no box spring will be used.. For years I have always
opted for using a maple plywood platform over using slats... I guess the
original decision came from one... slats do take a lot of wood.. and my junk
bed at home, which is old but has maple slats that do sag.. so on my beds I
use the rails around the bed and then install 3 beefy rails across the bed
and lay the plywood on top... Queen bed..
What's your approach ??

Joel

I built 2 sets of twin-sized bunks (oak for the boys, painted poplar
for the girls) using rails and 3/4" A/C plywood, no slats. The upper
bunks are actually 1" A/Luan plywood, so the kid on the bottom didn't
have to stare up at a C-grade surface for his entire childhood.

BTW - The boys split their bunks into two singles when the oldest
moved out a few months ago and took his half with him. That was the
plan 18 years ago when I built 'em and it finally came to fruition.

My wife and I sleep in a queen sized platform bed - again using 3/4" A/
C, no rails, no slats. It was built like a waterbed I once saw. Under
the plywood are 2 large X's of 3/4 x 12 pine boards. The base is a
rectangle made of 2 x 12's. The platform overhangs the base ~5" on all
sides.

Without getting too graphic here, I will say that the platform bed has
held up well for over 25 years and is partially responsible for the
need for the 2 bunk beds.

Old August 30th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.woodworking

dwolf wrote:
Making a bed where no box spring will be used.. For years I have
always opted for using a maple plywood platform over using slats...
guess the original decision came from one... slats do take a lot of
wood.. and my junk bed at home, which is old but has maple slats
that
do sag.. so on my beds I use the rails around the bed and then
install 3 beefy rails across the bed and lay the plywood on top...
Queen bed..
What's your approach ??

You might find it interesting to go over to the Ikea site and look at
the slat sets that they sell.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old August 30th 07, 11:44 AM posted to rec.woodworking

dwolf wrote:

What's your approach ??

What do you want, style wise?

Platform beds have a totally different look than a standard headboard /
footboard setup. Platform beds are also probably easier to construct a
truly solid product.

The slats used in a standard bed can be the ugliest, cheapest wood you
can find in a species of sufficient strength. Ask at the wood dealer to
see the "cull" bin.

Other than that, start by deciding on the look you'd like.
Old August 30th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:41:17 -0400, "dwolf"
wrote:

Making a bed where no box spring will be used.. For years I have always
opted for using a maple plywood platform over using slats... I guess the
original decision came from one... slats do take a lot of wood.. and my junk
bed at home, which is old but has maple slats that do sag.. so on my beds I
use the rails around the bed and then install 3 beefy rails across the bed
and lay the plywood on top... Queen bed..
What's your approach ??

Joel

The slats would take less wood plus allow some air circulation. You
can flip the slats over (or use more slats) when they start to sag.
Some old beds use ropes instead of slats.

Old August 30th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Making a bed where no box spring will be used.. For years I have always
opted for using a maple plywood platform over using slats... I guess the
original decision came from one... slats do take a lot of wood.. and my junk
bed at home, which is old but has maple slats that do sag.. so on my beds I
use the rails around the bed and then install 3 beefy rails across the bed
and lay the plywood on top... Queen bed..
What's your approach ??

Joel

If you use slats, sure to attach them to the side rails - I've been
dumped out of bed in the middle of the night when an unattached slat
slipped from a side rail. The current bed frame is metal with a
support in the middle of it.

And remember that kids play under anything that is high enough to
wiggle under. There was a death in the area this week when a group
of kids was playing and jumping on a bed and it collapsed on the
six-year-old girl who was under it. I don't have details on the bed,
just the family.

John

Old August 31st 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Apologies if this point has already been made - I've only just seen the latest posting.
Remember to consider how you would dismantle and move the bed if you moved house. Slats fold up to a
small space, plywood doesn't.
Agree about securing them though. It makes them less liable to snap too, if the ends are screwed into
a rail on the sides of the bed. Or, since the slats don't have to be great wood, you could fit enough
of them so there isn't a space between them, making them less liable to shift. Still easier to move
around than two 6'x3' sheets of plywood.

Old August 31st 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 30, 7:50 pm, "Dave Gordon" d@p wrote:
"dwolf" wrote in ...

wrote:

[...]

around than two 6'x3' sheets of plywood.- Hide quoted text -

Given the choice of moving two 6' x 3' sheets of plywood or the
equivalent square footage of slats, all of which are individually
secured to the rails, which do you think would be easier to dismantle,
carry, load, unload, carry again, and reassemble?

As far as taking up space, two 6' x 3' sheets of plywood will fit just
about anywhere in a moving van, pickup truck, mini van, etc.

Old August 31st 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.woodworking

ups.com...

wrote:

[...]

My thoughts exactly... I did what I always do.... Three beefy slats 2 x 3
ash
The wood cleats around the perimeter, and a descent maple ply...