Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

Default plywood platform or wood slats bed

"Nova" wrote in message
wrote:
The purpose of the sluts and dowels were to equally position and prevent
the slats from horizontal movement. Once the mattress are on them, the
slats remain in the original location without any movement. It is like
having screws to lock them in place with the advantage that they are easy
to remove and transport. When you change the bed sheet and cover the
slats remain in place. Conversely, in mass production, you could do away
with the dowels and location sluts and save time and effort. However
when the furniture's remains in the family it's a good feeling to leave
marks of good craftsmanship.

"Nova" wrote in message

wrote:

The way I have done the slats is with a 3/8" slut X 1 1/2" lg. x 1/4"
deep at each end.

What did the 3/8" slut do with the slats? ;-)

Ahem...

slut - n. 1.a. A woman considered sexually promiscuous. b. A prostitute.
2. A slovenly woman; a slattern. 3. A female dog. [Middle English
slutte.] --slut“tish adj. --slut“tish·ly adv. --slut“tish·ness n.

slot - n. 1. A narrow opening; a groove or slit: a slot for coins in a
vending machine; a mail slot. 2. A gap between a main and an auxiliary
airfoil to provide space for airflow and facilitate the smooth passage of
air over the wing. 3.a. An assigned place in a sequence or schedule: a new
time slot for a TV program. b. A position of employment in an organization
or a hierarchy. 4. Computer Science. A socket in a microcomputer that will
accept a plug-in circuit board: expansion slots. --slot tr.v. slot·ted,
slot·ting, slots. 1. To cut or make a slot or slots in. 2. To put into or
assign to a slot. [Middle English, hollow of the breastbone, from Old
French esclot.]

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Thanks for the correction. I recognize you to be a fluent and prolific
writer. I'll be more careful and not rely on the spell checker anymore.

Please take note that the word slut should have read 3/8" wide X 1/4" deep 1
˝" long groove.

(groove noun. A long, narrow cut in a hard material.)