Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default Branch topic Chuck and Morse taper question

"Arch" wrote: (clip) A revolving Jacobs chuck held _firmly in a tail
spindle might not be totally useless. I'm wondering about using it to gently
stretch or at least not compress a super thin axial grain spindle turned
between chucks. (clip)
You are absolutely right, Arch. Now that you mention it, I recall threads
which discussed how to attach a Jacobs chuck to a revolving tailstock mount,
for that very purpose.

I also recall that once the spindle is turned "super-thin," the job MUST be
turned to comletion without stopping--else on restart, the piece would just
twist in two.