Ecnerwal

Default math problem

In article ,
Kingfish wrote:

Chapter tests count for 60% of the final grade. Mid-term and final
tests count for 40% of the final grade. Scores for chapter tests were
80, 50 and 69. Mid-term and final tests were 80 and 90. What is the
final grade. One of us says 73.8 and the other says 80.7

According to these conditions, each test of whatever sort counts for 20%.

73.8 is correct for the conditions given (60% chapter, 40% mid/final).

77.5 would be correct if the weighting was 60% mid/final, 40% chapter

I can't figure out where 80.7 came from, other than that place where
most statistics come from, which I'd not care to investigate due to the
smell.

The closest I can get would be 80.8 from dropping the lowest chapter
test score, and using 40% weight chapter, 60% mid/final.

Someone needs to go back to math class - about High School Algebra 1 or
so.