Spehro Pefhany

Default math problem

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:22:18 -0400, the renowned Kingfish
wrote:

I come to the experts on everything I can think of help. My
teacher-wife asked me if she was calculating this correctly. I didn't
think so. What's the answer and why/how?

Chapter tests count for 60% of the final grade. Mid-term and final
tests count for 40% of the final grade. Scores for chapter tests were
80, 50 and 69. Mid-term and final tests were 80 and 90. What is the
final grade. One of us says 73.8 and the other says 80.7

Thanks

Okay, let's assume the chapters are *equally* weighted (with each
other), as are mid-term and finals. These are assumptions. And all out
of 100, natch.

1So there are 3 chapter tests, each would count for 60/3 = 20%, and
two
exams, which would count for 40/2 = 20% each as well. That's easy.

Just multiply each score by 0.2 and add, or to put it another way,
it's less calculation to just add up all the scores and divide by 5.

I get 73.8% for the example given.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany