Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Minwax fast drying poly over Formby's Tung Oil

"Toller" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message

Danish oil contains varnish and forms a soft film. Why would you put a
hard film over a soft film? It just encourages the hard film to be
scratched?
Oil is not much protection and should be covered, true; but Danish Oil is
not oil.

Not the Danish Oils that I have used in the past. Typically they would dry
out/soak in and never form a rich or protective finish. I always was
advised by the manufacturer to applied a protective varnish for protection.
Some 30 years later none of the pieces that I have and that were varnished
after the Danish Oil coats have shown any sign of problems or scratches.

That said, I eventually realized that there was no real advantage to
applying the Danish Oil and then covering with a varnish. The pieces look
just as good with a varnish vs. both products IMHO.