Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Battery charging on Dell Inspiron 600m laptop

This computer had the power jack totally ripped off and basically rattling
around inside. Anyone familiar with this type of jack knows that to do
that takes some effort. I'm not sure if even dropping the laptop to
dangle by the power cord could it.

With the jack replaced, everything seems to work except that
the battery won't charge, both based on the charge percent not changing
on the software charge meter and that it dies immediately trying to boot or
run with only the battery as the power source. The system knows when the
battery is installed and says it's charging but the percent doesn't change.
Originally, the battery read 7 percent; now after a couple weeks of being
idle, it is 0 percent.

I do not know the history of this computer. Can this be anything other
than a problem on the mainboard? I'm assuming the battery itself is good
but have no means of testing it. I was quite careful when replacing the
power jack but it's possible there is a soldering problem, or even that
some itty bitty SMT part popped off when the power jack broke off and is
lost. It's such a pain to get the entire thing apart that I'm not inclined
to do so unless there is a good chance it's something obvious.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.