Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Chuck and Morse taper question

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:30:15 -0400, BobMac wrote:

I recently bought a Jacobs chuck and a Morse Taper for my lathe. I think
I'm missing a step somewhere. When I mount it in the tailstock, it just
spins freely, leading to a less aggressive drilling action than I hoped
for.

I can make it drill by holding it still with one hand, but that doesn't
strike me as particularly safe, and it's certainly not comfortable.

What part of this am I missing?

BobMac

My guess with the current info would be either the wrong size Morse taper for
your lathe (#1 #2?) or a dirty taper on your tail stock..

With a proper size and good fit, the chuck should only spin in the taper
(ass-u-me-ing that's what's spinning) if you bind the drill bit or didn't seat
the Morse taper well.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing