Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Minwax fast drying poly over Formby's Tung Oil

wrote:
Getting ready to finish a desk, the top is walnut with walnut inlay
and I would like a good durable finish. Have been experimenting with
just the Formby's Tung Oil and just simply Poly, question is...
would I get the best finish by using 2-3 applicaitons of Formby's
Tung Oil, then 2 or 3 Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane?

What would be the point of using both?

There are three things a finish does...

1. Color the wood
2. Protect the wood
3. Provide a sheen

All finishes color the wood to some extent. By "color" I mean that
both the grain and natutal color is emphasized. Water base finishes
color the least; oil based - varnish or oil - color the most.
Lacquer is intermediate. Don't recall about shellac, been too long
since I used it.

Surface films like varnish and lacquer provide the most protection,
oils the least. By "protection" I mean protection from stains,
spills, fingermarks and the like, not protection from physical damage.

The sheen can range from dead flat to high gloss. Oils provide a flat
sheen but can be worked up with was to a pleasant glow. Surface films
like varnish/lacqur/shellac can be whatever you want.

Consequently, my question of "What would be the point of using both?".
You would gain nothing using oil then poly vs poly alone (assuming it
is oil based poly).

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...