Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Chuck and Morse taper question

before attempting to answer, let's clarify some indefinite pronouns: What
exactly spins freely? the chuck/ the chuck and the taper? or what? have
you tried extending the tailstock quill about an inch? is the taper the
right size for the tailstock?
"BobMac" wrote in message
I recently bought a Jacobs chuck and a Morse Taper for my lathe. I think
I'm missing a step somewhere. When I mount it in the tailstock, it just
spins freely, leading to a less aggressive drilling action than I hoped
for.

I can make it drill by holding it still with one hand, but that doesn't
strike me as particularly safe, and it's certainly not comfortable.

What part of this am I missing?

BobMac