Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default 240v connectors

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 17:59:20 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I'm building a spot welder, using 2 microwave oven transformers &
running it on 240. On my welder & plasma cutter I've used dryer plugs
and receptacles, but the unplugging is a bit of a hassle and I'd like it
to be easier with the spot welder. A twist lock would be nice, but even
on eBay that would be at least $25 for a pair. (This is a junk-box
project and it would really hurt to spend that much on the *plug*.)

Does anyone have a good idea for a 240v, 20a connector?

Go to your local hardware store or outlet of The Borg, they have
good old straight-blade 20A 240V plugs and receptacles for not much
more than 20A 120V. Looks just like a standard wall outlet, but both
blades are horizontal.

_ _

They even make combination duplex receptacles that have the 20A 240V
on top for the window air conditioner, and a 20A 120V on the bottom
for a convenience receptacle. (Special order or wholesale house.)
Also handy for installing in the kitchen of a gourmand with 240V
European appliances they've brought home - just change the cord cap.

Don't try to skimp on this one and use a 120V receptacle on a 240V
circuit - guaranteed someone will walk into the shop and plug an
extension cord into that outlet without thinking, no matter how big a
warning sign you hang in front of that outlet, and they'll only figure
it out after they fry something but good.

You might even do it - once...

-- Bruce --