Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 240v connectors

I'm building a spot welder, using 2 microwave oven transformers &
running it on 240. On my welder & plasma cutter I've used dryer plugs
and receptacles, but the unplugging is a bit of a hassle and I'd like it
to be easier with the spot welder. A twist lock would be nice, but even
on eBay that would be at least $25 for a pair. (This is a junk-box
project and it would really hurt to spend that much on the *plug*.)

Does anyone have a good idea for a 240v, 20a connector?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I'm building a spot welder, using 2 microwave oven transformers &
running it on 240. On my welder & plasma cutter I've used dryer plugs
and receptacles, but the unplugging is a bit of a hassle and I'd like it
to be easier with the spot welder. A twist lock would be nice, but even
on eBay that would be at least $25 for a pair. (This is a junk-box
project and it would really hurt to spend that much on the *plug*.)

Does anyone have a good idea for a 240v, 20a connector?

Bob

If you've used dryer type plugs, take a look at the newer RV plugs that
have a built in handle to take care of the pain to plug and unplug
problem.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I'm building a spot welder, using 2 microwave oven transformers &
running it on 240. On my welder & plasma cutter I've used dryer plugs
and receptacles, but the unplugging is a bit of a hassle and I'd like it
to be easier with the spot welder. A twist lock would be nice, but even
on eBay that would be at least $25 for a pair. (This is a junk-box
project and it would really hurt to spend that much on the *plug*.)

Does anyone have a good idea for a 240v, 20a connector?

Bob

If you've used dryer type plugs, take a look at the newer RV plugs that
have a built in handle to take care of the pain to plug and unplug
problem.

If you really want to be cheap, you could replicate the idea with a loop
of plastic strip cut from a $1 flexible cutting board and a well placed
and insulated pop rivet or two.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I'm building a spot welder, using 2 microwave oven transformers &
running it on 240. On my welder & plasma cutter I've used dryer plugs
and receptacles, but the unplugging is a bit of a hassle and I'd like it
to be easier with the spot welder. A twist lock would be nice, but even
on eBay that would be at least $25 for a pair. (This is a junk-box
project and it would really hurt to spend that much on the *plug*.)

Does anyone have a good idea for a 240v, 20a connector?

Bob

I use this for a receptacle:
http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/we...epot/1252.html

and these for plugs:
http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/42A.html

basic welding plugs, work great, not too spendy

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
. ..
I'm building a spot welder, using 2 microwave oven transformers &
running it on 240. On my welder & plasma cutter I've used dryer plugs
and receptacles, but the unplugging is a bit of a hassle and I'd like it
to be easier with the spot welder. A twist lock would be nice, but even
on eBay that would be at least $25 for a pair. (This is a junk-box
project and it would really hurt to spend that much on the *plug*.)

Does anyone have a good idea for a 240v, 20a connector?

Bob

I have a couple older 240 volt machines and the plug on them looks like a
regular AC plug except that the pins are horizontal rather than vertical. I
made an extension cord for them and I believe the plugs are rated for 20
amps. And they were fairly cheap down at the hardware store...

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I'm building a spot welder, using 2 microwave oven transformers &
running it on 240. On my welder & plasma cutter I've used dryer plugs
and receptacles, but the unplugging is a bit of a hassle and I'd like it
to be easier with the spot welder. A twist lock would be nice, but even
on eBay that would be at least $25 for a pair. (This is a junk-box
project and it would really hurt to spend that much on the *plug*.)

Does anyone have a good idea for a 240v, 20a connector?

Any large hardware or home supply store
should have a plug/socket that looks like
a regular old 120 volt set, but with one
of the blades rotated 90 degrees. I'm
pretty sure it's good for 20 amperes and
I've been using one on my Sears compressor
for about 25 years.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 17:59:20 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I'm building a spot welder, using 2 microwave oven transformers &
running it on 240. On my welder & plasma cutter I've used dryer plugs
and receptacles, but the unplugging is a bit of a hassle and I'd like it
to be easier with the spot welder. A twist lock would be nice, but even
on eBay that would be at least $25 for a pair. (This is a junk-box
project and it would really hurt to spend that much on the *plug*.)

Does anyone have a good idea for a 240v, 20a connector?

Go to your local hardware store or outlet of The Borg, they have
good old straight-blade 20A 240V plugs and receptacles for not much
more than 20A 120V. Looks just like a standard wall outlet, but both
blades are horizontal.

_ _

They even make combination duplex receptacles that have the 20A 240V
on top for the window air conditioner, and a 20A 120V on the bottom
for a convenience receptacle. (Special order or wholesale house.)
Also handy for installing in the kitchen of a gourmand with 240V
European appliances they've brought home - just change the cord cap.

Don't try to skimp on this one and use a 120V receptacle on a 240V
circuit - guaranteed someone will walk into the shop and plug an
extension cord into that outlet without thinking, no matter how big a
warning sign you hang in front of that outlet, and they'll only figure
it out after they fry something but good.

You might even do it - once...

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a ****load of twistlock connectors and several three phase
extension cords for sale. (20a 250v extension cords)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I used to see a lot of those in schools. They were used so the
cleaning staff could use floor buffers without dragging extension cords
all over the place.

Don't try to skimp on this one and use a 120V receptacle on a 240V
circuit - guaranteed someone will walk into the shop and plug an
extension cord into that outlet without thinking, no matter how big a
warning sign you hang in front of that outlet, and they'll only figure
it out after they fry something but good.

Some asshole 'handyman' ran two 240 volt circuits for large window
air conditioners, then used pliers to twist the prong to fit the outlet.
Even worse, one was a duplex outlet. My dad was staying with me, and
plugged his radio into the other half and lost the power transformer.

You might even do it - once...

-- Bruce --

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31174 wrote:
I have a ****load of twistlock connectors and several three phase
extension cords for sale. (20a 250v extension cords)

Oh, me, me! I want a twist lock. Do you mean that you have pairs (male
& female)? In fact, if you have any 30a twist locks, I'll convert my
welder & plasma cutter, too.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks to Jerry, Jim, & Bruce for the horizontal-pin style reference
(NEMA 6-20P & R if anyone else is looking for them). I'll be getting
them unless I go with Iggy's twist locks.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:36:28 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus31174 wrote:
I have a ****load of twistlock connectors and several three phase
extension cords for sale. (20a 250v extension cords)

Oh, me, me! I want a twist lock. Do you mean that you have pairs (male
& female)? In fact, if you have any 30a twist locks, I'll convert my
welder & plasma cutter, too.

I have 20A 250v three phase extension cords. Twist lock Hubbell
plugs/receptacles. Four pole (three phases and one for ground)

$20 for 8 foot cord, $40 for about 20 foot cord. $8.95 shipping.

I may have wall mount receptacles also. Also a lot of 480 volt
plugs/recs. (which you can use for whatever you want, really, they are
just labeled 480 -- but if you do not have 480v in your house you can
use them for something else).

I may have some connectors in 30A, but definitely not many.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:55:21 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Thanks to Jerry, Jim, & Bruce for the horizontal-pin style reference
(NEMA 6-20P & R if anyone else is looking for them). I'll be getting
them unless I go with Iggy's twist locks.

The twist locks would be better used for 3 phase, I think. I would go
with 6-20P for regular 20A 240v single phase applications. Why get
anything weird for a standard application. They are not that expensive
at Home Depot. I use the 6-20P (maybe even 6-15P) for my Bridgeport
mill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:31:44 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote:

They even make combination duplex receptacles that have the 20A 240V
on top for the window air conditioner, and a 20A 120V on the bottom
for a convenience receptacle. (Special order or wholesale house.)
Also handy for installing in the kitchen of a gourmand with 240V
European appliances they've brought home - just change the cord cap.

I used to see a lot of those in schools. They were used so the
cleaning staff could use floor buffers without dragging extension cords
all over the place.

NEMA 6-20 for 20A 240V. The 120/240 combo devices are Leviton 5844.
They even make a Decora combo device, but only in 15-amp.

Don't try to skimp on this one and use a 120V receptacle on a 240V
circuit - guaranteed someone will walk into the shop and plug an
extension cord into that outlet without thinking, no matter how big a
warning sign you hang in front of that outlet, and they'll only figure
it out after they fry something but good.

Some asshole 'handyman' ran two 240 volt circuits for large window
air conditioners, then used pliers to twist the prong to fit the outlet.
Even worse, one was a duplex outlet. My dad was staying with me, and
plugged his radio into the other half and lost the power transformer.

Hanging's too good for some morons.

I hope you fixed that, or got it fixed. Just be glad it was a
simple transformer that blew open, and not the insulation on an old
metal cased power drill that would have gone through him to ground -
that would leave a mark.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:27:34 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus31174 quickly quoth:

I have a ****load of twistlock connectors and several three phase
extension cords for sale. (20a 250v extension cords)

Got any plugs and receptacles for 220v single phase? I could use a
couple more L6-20 pairs for my shop.

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 13:06:07 -0500, Ignoramus31174
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:59:23 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:27:34 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus31174 quickly quoth:

I have a ****load of twistlock connectors and several three phase
extension cords for sale. (20a 250v extension cords)

Got any plugs and receptacles for 220v single phase? I could use a
couple more L6-20 pairs for my shop.

I do not think so.

Let me check this weekend.

Ive got a milk carton filled (overflowing) with twistlock 3 conductor
males and females.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

Go to your local hardware store or outlet of The Borg, they have
good old straight-blade 20A 240V plugs and receptacles for not much
more than 20A 120V. Looks just like a standard wall outlet, but both
blades are horizontal.

-- Bruce --

The two blades horizontal is only 15 Amp 240 V the
20 amp has one vertical and one horizontal both
brass colored and the opposite of the 120 V 20 Amp
orientation.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote:

They even make combination duplex receptacles that have the 20A 240V
on top for the window air conditioner, and a 20A 120V on the bottom
for a convenience receptacle. (Special order or wholesale house.)
Also handy for installing in the kitchen of a gourmand with 240V
European appliances they've brought home - just change the cord cap.

I used to see a lot of those in schools. They were used so the
cleaning staff could use floor buffers without dragging extension cords
all over the place.

NEMA 6-20 for 20A 240V. The 120/240 combo devices are Leviton 5844.

I had an emergency service call at a high school one day that they
didn't have any power for their new scoreboard in the Gym. As soon as I
walked in I saw that the problem was caused by someone damaging a combo
outlet, and trying to replace it themselves. They used a standard
duplex 120/15 outlet, without breaking the tab between the two line
terminals. Needless to say, the circuit breaker was bad in the 200 A
three phase panel a few feet away. I broke the tab and moved both sides
of the line from the two pole breaker to a spare 15 A single pole, and
reported the damage, and tampering to their school board.

They even make a Decora combo device, but only in 15-amp.

Don't try to skimp on this one and use a 120V receptacle on a 240V
circuit - guaranteed someone will walk into the shop and plug an
extension cord into that outlet without thinking, no matter how big a
warning sign you hang in front of that outlet, and they'll only figure
it out after they fry something but good.

Some asshole 'handyman' ran two 240 volt circuits for large window
air conditioners, then used pliers to twist the prong to fit the outlet.
Even worse, one was a duplex outlet. My dad was staying with me, and
plugged his radio into the other half and lost the power transformer.

Hanging's too good for some morons.

The electric chair would be more appropriate.

I hope you fixed that, or got it fixed. Just be glad it was a
simple transformer that blew open, and not the insulation on an old
metal cased power drill that would have gone through him to ground -
that would leave a mark.

-- Bruce --

I replaced both outlets, that day then found another small AC that
they had cut the plug off the cord and wire nutted to Romex behind old
wood paneling. A few weeks later, the neutral buss in one of the
breaker boxes went up in flames. After that, I started checking
EVERYTHING. So far, I've replaced over 20 outlets, and four breaker
boxes. Several circuits are disconnected from the breakers, till I can
rip out a floor to find out why a couple outlets are intermittent.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:21:28 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:59:23 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:27:34 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus31174 quickly quoth:

I have a ****load of twistlock connectors and several three phase
extension cords for sale. (20a 250v extension cords)

Got any plugs and receptacles for 220v single phase? I could use a
couple more L6-20 pairs for my shop.

I do not think so.

Let me check this weekend.

Ive got a milk carton filled (overflowing) with twistlock 3 conductor
males and females.

Tres bien. Danke, senor.

--

According to our strength of character and our clarity of vision, we will
endure, we will succeed, we will have contributed something to make life
where we were and as we lived it better, brighter, and more beautiful.
-- Frank Lloyd Wright
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gosh - I have 480 3P in my shop.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Ignoramus31174 wrote:
I have a ****load of twistlock connectors and several three phase
extension cords for sale. (20a 250v extension cords)

Oh, me, me! I want a twist lock. Do you mean that you have pairs (male
& female)? In fact, if you have any 30a twist locks, I'll convert my
welder & plasma cutter, too.

I have 20A 250v three phase extension cords. Twist lock Hubbell
plugs/receptacles. Four pole (three phases and one for ground)

$20 for 8 foot cord, $40 for about 20 foot cord. $8.95 shipping.

I may have wall mount receptacles also. Also a lot of 480 volt
plugs/recs. (which you can use for whatever you want, really, they are
just labeled 480 -- but if you do not have 480v in your house you can
use them for something else).

I may have some connectors in 30A, but definitely not many.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd love to have the 100 amp / phase 3 phase 5 wire Hubble plug/sockets
I used. Tons of them used. Expensive. Big Blue ones.

Ah - the power hungry days.

Ignoramus31174 wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:55:21 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Thanks to Jerry, Jim, & Bruce for the horizontal-pin style reference
(NEMA 6-20P & R if anyone else is looking for them). I'll be getting
them unless I go with Iggy's twist locks.

The twist locks would be better used for 3 phase, I think. I would go
with 6-20P for regular 20A 240v single phase applications. Why get
anything weird for a standard application. They are not that expensive
at Home Depot. I use the 6-20P (maybe even 6-15P) for my Bridgeport
mill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:48:20 -0500, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
I'd love to have the 100 amp / phase 3 phase 5 wire Hubble plug/sockets
I used. Tons of them used. Expensive. Big Blue ones.

I have two pairs of Hubbell 460R9W 60 amp, 250v, four wire
receptacle/plug combos.

Ignoramus31174 wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:55:21 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Thanks to Jerry, Jim, & Bruce for the horizontal-pin style reference
(NEMA 6-20P & R if anyone else is looking for them). I'll be getting
them unless I go with Iggy's twist locks.

The twist locks would be better used for 3 phase, I think. I would go
with 6-20P for regular 20A 240v single phase applications. Why get
anything weird for a standard application. They are not that expensive
at Home Depot. I use the 6-20P (maybe even 6-15P) for my Bridgeport
mill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31174 wrote:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:48:20 -0500, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
I'd love to have the 100 amp / phase 3 phase 5 wire Hubble plug/sockets
I used. Tons of them used. Expensive. Big Blue ones.

I have two pairs of Hubbell 460R9W 60 amp, 250v, four wire
receptacle/plug combos.

The most cost effective connector for the 100A+ stuff is the individual
cam-lock type connectors. At 100A / phase complete cable assemblies are
just to heavy to handle anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, but my source or sink is neither that large anymore.

The 60 amp ones were used but we upgraded once I started working on the big
stuff. My GAAS IC drew 70 Watts itself and had liquid cooling on both
sides of it and the whole board of GAAS, ECL and CMOS Gate Arrays and IC's.

If I put in a sub circuit maybe. But my voltage conversion case (wall mounted)
has 3p already in sockets.

Ignoramus31174 wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:55:21 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Thanks to Jerry, Jim, & Bruce for the horizontal-pin style reference
(NEMA 6-20P & R if anyone else is looking for them). I'll be getting
them unless I go with Iggy's twist locks.
The twist locks would be better used for 3 phase, I think. I would go
with 6-20P for regular 20A 240v single phase applications. Why get
anything weird for a standard application. They are not that expensive
at Home Depot. I use the 6-20P (maybe even 6-15P) for my Bridgeport
mill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:59:23 -0700, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:27:34 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus31174 quickly quoth:

I have a ****load of twistlock connectors and several three phase
extension cords for sale. (20a 250v extension cords)

Got any plugs and receptacles for 220v single phase? I could use a
couple more L6-20 pairs for my shop.

I do not think so.

Let me check this weekend.

Ive got a milk carton filled (overflowing) with twistlock 3 conductor
males and females.

Tres bien. Danke, senor.

Da nada mon ami.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus31174 wrote:
... I would go
with 6-20P for regular 20A 240v single phase applications. Why get
anything weird for a standard application. ...

You're right. I got carried away with the coolness of twist locks. I
bought a set of 6-20 at Lowe's - $10.

Bob

BTW, Lowe's vs Home Depot: Lowe's website with had all their electrical
products on it, HD's has none. It's nice to be able to check
availability & price before driving there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:22:15 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I replaced both outlets, that day then found another small AC that
they had cut the plug off the cord and wire nutted to Romex behind old
wood paneling.

That was your first big flashing warning sign: "Handyman Wuz Heer!"

A few weeks later, the neutral buss in one of the breaker boxes
went up in flames.

And I'll bet if you started checking you would find phasing errors
in that panel - two opposite phase circuits (A & B) can share a single
neutral wire, and the currents can balance out to minimal or even zero
current on the neutral. But if both breakers are on A phase or B
phase you're effectively trying to put 40A on the white wire - it will
work, but not for long.

After that, I started checking
EVERYTHING. So far, I've replaced over 20 outlets, and four breaker
boxes. Several circuits are disconnected from the breakers, till I can
rip out a floor to find out why a couple outlets are intermittent.

You mean you aren't supposed to bury an old and unwanted receptacle
box (with hot wires and a receptacle still in it) inside the wall when
you remodel? Gee, I never knew... ;-P

Turn off the panel and stuff a fishtape (with leader) down the
conduit - get a distance to the buried box and you might even be able
to hear roughly where it is. Then stuff the fishtape from the
intermittent outlet direction and see if they both go to the same
place.

Some days you can avoid poking great big holes in the drywall at
random.

I have gotten really lucky a few times - I've seen the small bump in
the plaster where they filled in and painted over the outlet box, and
with care you can chip it out so clean they don't have to repaint.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 14:07:37 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:
Ignoramus31174 wrote:

... I would go
with 6-20P for regular 20A 240v single phase applications. Why get
anything weird for a standard application. ...

You're right. I got carried away with the coolness of twist locks. I
bought a set of 6-20 at Lowe's - $10.

Twistlock has it's place - stuff that's overhead, high abuse, or
three phase where the only widely available form factor is twistlock.

Straight blade is just fine for the small stuff.

BTW, Lowe's vs Home Depot: Lowe's website with had all their electrical
products on it, HD's has none. It's nice to be able to check
availability & price before driving there.

But that online check only tells you how many the inventory computer
thinks should be there, the count was as of close yesterday, which
often has absolutely no basis in reality...

Someone came in and bought them out at 8 AM, sometimes the inventory
count is borked, some items are very popular with shoplifters. I've
been burned too many times when they say "Come On Down, the inventory
says 75 on hand" and the shelves are bare.

You have to call up and have an employee physically put his hands on
the item before you drive to the store. And get an employee name.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I replaced both outlets, that day then found another small AC that
they had cut the plug off the cord and wire nutted to Romex behind old
wood paneling.

That was your first big flashing warning sign: "Handyman Wuz Heer!"

A few weeks later, the neutral buss in one of the breaker boxes
went up in flames.

And I'll bet if you started checking you would find phasing errors
in that panel - two opposite phase circuits (A & B) can share a single
neutral wire, and the currents can balance out to minimal or even zero
current on the neutral. But if both breakers are on A phase or B
phase you're effectively trying to put 40A on the white wire - it will
work, but not for long.

All circuits were Romex, so no problems there.

After that, I started checking
EVERYTHING. So far, I've replaced over 20 outlets, and four breaker
boxes. Several circuits are disconnected from the breakers, till I can
rip out a floor to find out why a couple outlets are intermittent.

You mean you aren't supposed to bury an old and unwanted receptacle
box (with hot wires and a receptacle still in it) inside the wall when
you remodel? Gee, I never knew... ;-P

What box? I found wires wired nutted together with NO box, inside a
wall.

Turn off the panel and stuff a fishtape (with leader) down the
conduit - get a distance to the buried box and you might even be able
to hear roughly where it is. Then stuff the fishtape from the
intermittent outlet direction and see if they both go to the same
place.

What conduit? Its all Romex, and a 4 inch crawl space.

Some days you can avoid poking great big holes in the drywall at
random.

A plastic cap from a 2-liter pop bottle will force fit on the end of
the 3/4" PVC conduit. It keeps dirt out as you shake it around to run
it through a crawl space. If that doesn't work, cut a hole in a tennis
ball so it will slide over wires and pipe, to where you want it. I've
pushed a wire 65 feet this way, under mobile homes for CATV and
telephone station wire.

I have gotten really lucky a few times - I've seen the small bump in
the plaster where they filled in and painted over the outlet box, and
with care you can chip it out so clean they don't have to repaint.

I pre wired the burglar alarm, fire alarm and background music
systems in a general contractor's new office building about 25 years
ago. The drywall people mudded every box, and did a textured finish
over it, bitching that there were "Too many wires" in the walls and
ceilings. I called the contractor and told him what they had done. He
said, Don't worry, make as many holes as you have to, to find your
boxes. The drywall forman started to complain, and was told to shut
up. I smiled at him and picked up my brick hammer, and slammed it into
the wall, right into the first box. The guy was pale as a sheet! I
smiled and told him, "I won't be so careful, the next time! He didn't
notice the marks on the bare plywood floor directly under every one of
our boxes. He was freaking out as i ran around smashing holes, and
finding each box with a single hit. He looked like he was going to have
a stroke.

Another job, a sound system in a new church. The 1/2" conduits for
speaker wires were plugged with blown in insulation. There was too much
to work the fishtape through, so we went back to the shop and brought
our BIG air compressor to the site. I found some of the large rubber
plugs from the freon lines, and cut a hole in the tip. Then shoved the
plug against the end of the fitting and let the pressure build up. It
was a beautiful sight! It was snowing in the chapel as the insulation
finally let loose and was blowing out of every pull box!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
But that online check only tells you how many the inventory computer
thinks should be there, ...

True enough. It also doesn't tell you that those 3 Square D breakers it
says they have are mixed in with the GE breakers. A *huge* annoyance at
the Borgs. But it's a start - the HD website is totally useless.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I replaced both outlets, that day then found another small AC that
they had cut the plug off the cord and wire nutted to Romex behind old
wood paneling.

That was your first big flashing warning sign: "Handyman Wuz Heer!"

That would be similar to finding an add on room, all outlets being fed
with 300 ohm tv twin lead?

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
BTW, Lowe's vs Home Depot: Lowe's website with had all their electrical
products on it, HD's has none. ...

Oops - my mistake. The HD website has store products, but you have to
click on the not-very-obvious tab: "Online & Store Products", the
default is the "Online Products".

Bob

240V fluoroescents Tater Home Repair 14 October 13th 06 07:43 PM
How do I know if I need a new switch for 240v? Steve W Woodworking 32 April 28th 06 11:15 PM
240V -> 208V -- How to? Jeff Dantzler Metalworking 9 October 4th 05 03:21 AM
240v footswitch... Howie UK diy 4 April 11th 05 11:15 AM
240v LED for bathroom fan David W.E. Roberts UK diy 25 August 29th 03 10:17 AM