Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default I don't understand why my phone system does what it does. SOLVED!

In article ,
Jethro wrote:

I think my problem is solved. I bit the bullet and went under my
house (crawl space) this PM, and found some 4" water!
Seems my pressure tank's pressure valve/gauge was acting like a water
pump, spewing water everywhere. Why this did not trip the breaker I
don't know!

That your water system did not trip a breaker is probably a GOOD thing from a
safety standpoint.

God knows how long that has been going on.

Did you hear the pump occasionally cycling in the middle of the night, when no
one was using the water?

I replaced the valve/gauge, and evacuated most of the water
with his sump pump, It probably will take several days to
dry out under there!

That's too bad. Get out the fans, I guess. (You couldn't GIVE me a house
without a basement based on maintenance accessibility and safety.)

Almostimmediately the phone buzzing stopped.
Now the phones are all fine. They must have been submerged.

If the phone cables were submerged, that means they were not attached properly
to the joists above. This is very poor technique. You may eventually have to
replace one or more of the cables anyway. They gradually succumb to operating
in a humid environment, even if they are not laying on the ground.

Moisture finds its way into the smallest defect in the outer sheath of the
cable. One inside the cable, it STAYS wet within that area of cable for a
long time, eventually destroying the cable at that location.

Now I have to put all the phone face plates etc back in place

Did you paint while they were off? grin

Wife is talking divorce.

Congratulations! bigger grin

Sell the place NOW while the phone cable still works. HA!
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes
Have staplegun, will travel