Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default I don't understand why my phone system does what it does.

In article om,
wrote:

You're making a generalization here that is not true. Some systems
may work this way, but many do not. For example, here in the NYC
area, the large cable network Cablevision, only supplies a VOIP box
that the customer plugs into the cable and AC supply anywhere inside
their home. If the power goes out, there is no cable feed powering
the box and you lose service.

I apologize. I recall encountering one, such arrangement. It took me by
surprise and took a while to figure out. What I described is what Cox is
doing in its Omaha service area. With the voice port mounted outside the
premise and, hopefully, near the incumbent telco entrance/interface, switching
networks is more convenient and serviceable than if the dialtone were
emanating from a modem/box behind a TV or computer some where inside the
premise.

Plus, many people are using third party VOIP phone services, like
Vonage. They are not even part of the cable or phone companies.

Where/how do they connect with the outside world to make VoIP work? Their
connectivity is coming from either a physical, land-based network OR
wireless/satellite provider.
--

JR