Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default A question for the group

"Maxwell Lol" wrote in message
"Paul K. Dickman" writes:

Raising ISN'T spinning merely because of their names. Although similar
shapes may be made, the spinning process yeilds a product that is
distinctive, and cannot be exactly duplicated without a machine.

Horse hockey.

Spinning's advantage is that it is less labor intensive, readily uses
thinner materials, forces circular symmetry, and ,with the use of forms,
takes the skill needed for duplication out of the operator's hands.

I'll ask a neubie question (as I have a spun bowl that chimes like a
bell) What about sound? Is one technique better that the other?

Harder metals distort sound more and can produce more harmonics.
http://lawsonhorns.com/materials.htm

Both spinning and raising will harden most metals. Heating them above a
certain temperature (varies with the metal) anneals them, returning them to
a soft condition. From the article above you can see that the effects on
sound are pretty complex.

--
Ed Huntress