Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default how would you size a hinge pin on a home built log loader arm.

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:48:22 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Modat22 quickly quoth:

Hello folks, I built a sawmill a couple years ago and all the manual
moving of logs has got me a bit depressed. Now I'm thinking about
building a log loader which is basically a front loader like arm with
a grapple. I haven't started designing or building this yet just
thinking it out a little.

At the hinge points I will be using hardened pins but I'm not sure of
a couple things.

1. how to size them (if someone could point to an equation let me
know) or I'll just way oversize them and forget calculating them.

That's my preferred plan. Better too strong than too weak, right?
Weight is the only other consideration. Find balance, Grasshoppa.

2. should these pins be in bushings and if so what material should
these bushing be?

These guys might be of service:
http://www.backhoeplans.com/
http://www.ubuilditplans.com/webpage4_page2.htm
http://cdp-backhoe.com/plans.htm

Or just buy cheapies from HF. Call to find part numbers.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.