Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger rigger is offline

Default how would you size a hinge pin on a home built log loader arm.

On Aug 27, 6:48 am, Modat22 wrote:
Hello folks, I built a sawmill a couple years ago and all the manual
moving of logs has got me a bit depressed. Now I'm thinking about
building a log loader which is basically a front loader like arm with
a grapple. I haven't started designing or building this yet just
thinking it out a little.

At the hinge points I will be using hardened pins but I'm not sure of
a couple things.

1. how to size them (if someone could point to an equation let me
know) or I'll just way oversize them and forget calculating them.

2. should these pins be in bushings and if so what material should
these bushing be?

I've been trying to get a close look at front loaders but haven't seen
any around lately LOL.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Just don't forget the grease fittings.