Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default I don't understand why my phone system does what it does.

aemeijers wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
willshak wrote:

(snip)

The cable companies do have backup power. The line power supplies have
battery backup and for extended outages they will bring out a small
Honda generator and chain it at the base of the pole. I've never lost my
cable feed here during a power failure.

Chuckle. I bet they have lost several generators, however. Bolt cutters are
cheap.

Unless they have buried service in your area, most cable outages are due to
tree limbs and/or ice taking lines down.

This is what rabbit ears are for, folks. Cable TV is nice-to-have, not a
survival neccessity. If you get your phone via the cable TV, well, you
shoulda read the fine print. The tradeoff for lower cost is lower
reliability. If I had cable, and went with cable phone, I'd at least have a
prepaid semi-disposable cell as a backup.

Were you the poster with all the UPS boxes and the generator? Just how were
you verifying cable stayed on during the power outage?
aem sends...

I have backup for my backup for my backup . I also work from home full
time and rely on my Internet connectivity, so when (most of) the lights
go out I am still online and working. I also have two land lines
(underground in this area) and dialup provides marginal backup for the
cable.