Wooding

Default soldering to brass

"Boris Beizer" wrote in message
ink.net...

The solders used by jewelers for soldering gold are mostly gold. E.g.,
14karat or 10karat. You use yellow gold solder for yellow gold, white

gold
solder for white gold, pink gold solder for pink gold, etc. These

solders
will not work for brass because the melting temperature is too high.

Also,
they are torch soldered, which is dicey for brass.

This is nonsense. I'm a jeweler with over 40 years experience and, in order
to match colour, have used gold solder on brass from time to time with no
problems.
By the way, Johnson Matthey make a brazing alloy called MATTIBRAZE 34 which
has a yellow colour. I've used it on brass and the joint was just about
invisible. The melting range is 602-668 C (1117-1234 F).

--
Regards, Gary Wooding

(Change feet to foot to reply)