Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Bob Quintal Bob Quintal is offline

Default Double Headed Fakes

"Phil Allison" wrote in
:

"Bob Quintal"

I've probably opened and examined 10,000 semiconductor devices
and ICs in my career.

** Strewth - I thought I was bad having opened up a couple of
hundred !!

We build spacecraft. Every lot of parts destined for space gets
subject to DPA as part of the incoming inspection process. Not only
do we examine them optically, they often go through the Scanning
Electron Microscope. (SEM)

Here is an interesting document
http://nepp.nasa.gov/nepag/info/misc...DPA_Report.pdf

Knowing the specification of the device and 30 years of analysing
transistors tell me that it is definitely a counterfeit.

** Everything about that two chip MJ15003 is 100 % wrong
!!!!!!!!

It was eventually recalled ( and a bunch of other fakes too ) by
the store
that sold it to me.

Counterfeit devices has recently become a serious problem as people
are trying to obtain repair parts of devices no longer in production
for military gear that is 20 to 30 years old.

BTW:

All the Darlington power BJTs I have ever seen use ONE chip.

The driver is tucked away in a corner.

...... Phil

--
Bob Quintal