Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Finding downspout drain?

Tony Hwang wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Hi all,

I don't actually have a problem currently, but I am trying to locate
the drain for my downspout with no luck. Downspout was disconnected
from drain pipe and diverted to a cistern before I bought the house,
however the overflow drains for the cistern simply dump onto the
ground. There's a stub of PVC pipe sticking up from the ground but it
doesn't let water flow. Well, it does, but very, very slowly. The
only possible location that I could see for it to terminate is that
there is a drain pipe by the curb in front of the house, however it is
bone dry. Trying to stick a snake up that drain from the curb
accomplishes nothing, it is open for as long as the longest snake I
have. Trying to snake it from the downspout end accomplishes nothing
either, I get caught at an S-curve almost immediately.

I will get a longer snake, but I have two concerns... first, I don't
know whether I have a French drain or not, so the drain pipe by the
curb might be for the French drain and has nothing to do with the
downspout. Also I know that when the house was built there was an
alley behind it, and the alley is no longer there.

So here's the question; is there any way to determine where exactly a
PVC drain pipe runs if you can't snake it without digging? Digging
this up would likely involve draining the cistern, moving it, and
removing a large concrete pad.

thanks,

nate

Hi,
If your house/yard does not have water problem(soggy yard, moisture on
the walls, etc.), what's the worry?

I guess it's just the principle... I don't *want* to have a water
problem in the future; the cistern is only a couple feet from the
basement walls.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.