Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

Default how to get a hotter hot tub?

"JJ" wrote in message

We're in the market for a used or new hot tub. One thing we're concerned
about is the maximum operating temperature. It looks as if all hot tub
thermostats are now capped at 104 degrees for safety reasons. That would
probably be OK for me, but for my wife who likes it hot, hot, hot, that
just won't cut it.

[cut]
We've measured water temps in other tubs and hot tubs and I think
somewhere between 106 and 108 would probably be ideal, but at a max temp
of 104, it won't be worth buying. My wife's parents keep their hot tub at
about 112. Ouch! That's too hot for me. I can last about 5 minutes.

I'm late to the party and have no suggestions for your situation. I
am, however, amazed that your wife can tolerate (nay, enjoy!) such
high temperatures. We are in western New York, too, up on Lake
Ontario, and we keep our outdoor tub at 100 or 101F, even when the
temps are in the teens. I just don't like the water that much hotter
because then I can't stay in there, and what's the point of running
this hot tub if I can't have a nice long soak? I will say that our
hot tub gets so hot during the summer (it's in direct sun all day)
that we no longer run it in July and August. Time to fill it up soon!

A thought: are these other tubs you've been testing out fully
insulated on all five sides? Ours is a Beachcomber, with the motor
OUTSIDE the tub (it's in the step platform), so we have insulation on
all four walls plus the floor, and the temperature drops very slowly
when the cover is off. Great water circulation and temperature
retention. I wonder if these other tubs have even temperatures
throughout or are hot just near the thermostat/heater.