Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to get a hotter hot tub?

We're in the market for a used or new hot tub. One thing we're
concerned about is the maximum operating temperature. It looks as if
all hot tub thermostats are now capped at 104 degrees for safety
reasons. That would probably be OK for me, but for my wife who likes it
hot, hot, hot, that just won't cut it.

We have an indoor jacuzzi tub now, and she gets that above 110 for her
tubs. Granted, there's no heater, so the water starts cooling off
immediately - but it's still above 104 after 20 minutes of soaking.

We've measured water temps in other tubs and hot tubs and I think
somewhere between 106 and 108 would probably be ideal, but at a max temp
of 104, it won't be worth buying. My wife's parents keep their hot tub
at about 112. Ouch! That's too hot for me. I can last about 5 minutes.

So, my question is not about the health effects of such hot
temperatures, but rather...

Is there a simple way to hack the thermostat on a hot tub to get above
the 104 cutoff? I was thinking of maybe covering the temp sensor with
some kind of insulating material, but I'm not sure if that's feasible.
Since we don't currently have a hot tub, I'm not even sure where the
temp sensor would be located.

Has anyone successfully hacked their hot-tub thermostat, and how did you
do it?

Thanks.

-JJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

JJ wrote:

Is there a simple way to hack the thermostat on a hot tub to get above
the 104 cutoff? I was thinking of maybe covering the temp sensor with
some kind of insulating material...

That might work, if you could raise the thermal resistance between
the water and the sensor or lower the air-sensor resistance.

Has anyone successfully hacked their hot-tub thermostat, and how did you
do it?

Sure.

Article 663748 of alt.home.repair:
Subject: Hot Tub Thermostat adjust
Date: 4 Nov 2004 13:30:36 -0500

Marcia wrote:

HOw can I trick the thermostat on my Marquis Spa, so that I can heat
the water to higher than 104 degrees?

You can't. That's the upper temperature limit for UL approval :-)

I want to get the tub up to about 107.

The latest Marquis Coastal Reward spas use a Balboa M7 controller with
2 thermistors near the heater. Balboa says the first (as water flows by)
controls the water temp and the second is a 118 F safety limit. They must
agree within 2 F for the controller to work.

If you wanted to make the controller think the water is 104 F when it's
really 110, you might put a resistor in series with each thermistor near
the control board. They have a negative tempco, with 22117 ohms at 90 F,
17636 at 100, and 14158 at 110, so 104 F would make them about 16245 ohms,
adding a 2.2K ohm resistor in series with each thermistor exposed to 110 F
water will make the controller think the water temp is only 104 F.

(Marcia got someone to do this, and it worked :-)

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 23, 5:40 pm, mm wrote:
On 23 Aug 2007 16:44:27 -0400, wrote:

HOw can I trick the thermostat on my Marquis Spa, so that I can heat
the water to higher than 104 degrees?

(Marcia got someone to do this, and it worked :-)

Who is this Marcia chick? She must be hot.

I'd suggest seeing what service manuals, schematics, etc might be
available from the manufacturers websites. There may not be any, but
it's worth a shot. I have an older spa and inside the controller pack
on mine there are pots that adjust the temp calibration. I would
suspect many of them would have this.

If that fails, putting some insulation material over the temp sensor
might work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JJ" wrote in message

[...]

It can be done easily by someone who knows such things. They are set that
way because of the way the human body temperature works. You might want to
read up about it and find the facts before you do something stupid. Hot
tubs are limited for very good reasons. People have health conditions that
many do not know they even have and go into hotter water than they should
and stay there longer than they should. One should not consume alcohol
prior to gong into a hot tub. We all do these things, and USUALLY nothing
goes wrong.

Sure, you've done it, and it's okay. Tomorrow you invite your boss, and he
has a heart condition he doesn't know about or blood pressure problems. He
dies in the tub.

Can you say major lawsuit with possible criminal charges? I knew you could.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 24, 12:57 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"JJ" wrote in message

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Oh, please. Criminal charges just because he likes his hot tub at
108 instead of 104? I have mine set at that. I knew a big lecture
was coming, but this takes the cake. How about my bathtub? Am I
gonna be criminally charged if a guest decides to take a bath in water
thats too hot?

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
"JJ" wrote in message

[...]

Your reading comprehension sucks, dude. I said that people pretty much do
what they want. But, by your attitude, you are going to go through your
life and never have a car accident, never know someone who has been
murdered, never lose a part of your body, I could go on. Things happen.

Rules are meant to be broken. So, there are courts and lawyers to go back
AFTER the fact and say blah blah blah.

FYI, a friend of mine since childhood went to a local hot springs. He had a
heart condition, but did not know about it. He died there. Hot springs not
responsible, as he exposed himself to the danger. They won the lawsuit
because they had it posted.

So, to get back to the original point ........... you remember that, don't
you? Yes, you can manipulate the tub to make it hotter. Just realize it
has risks. Especially if someone else is hurt. You, and the OP can do
anything they like in your own house. Darwin awards be damned.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most of what you need to know can be found here;

http://www.rhtubs.com/104f.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...

Most of what you need to know can be found here;

http://www.rhtubs.com/104f.htm

I'm sorry, you must have not been paying attention or just missed the OPs
comments on how he and his wife love temperatures that would ruin a lobster.
You missed the parts where people have mentioned that it may be unsafe
medically, but were promptly corrected, chastised and castigated.

This OP has his mind to make the water as hot as he/she/it wants it, and
doesn't want facts.

All they want is a way to bypass the normal circuitry; safety guidelines,
and common sense be damned.

Not to worry, though. You'll be reading about them soon in the paper.

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

wrote in message
ps.com...

Most of what you need to know can be found here;

http://www.rhtubs.com/104f.htm

I'm sorry, you must have not been paying attention or just missed the OPs
comments on how he and his wife love temperatures that would ruin a lobster.
You missed the parts where people have mentioned that it may be unsafe
medically, but were promptly corrected, chastised and castigated.

This OP has his mind to make the water as hot as he/she/it wants it, and
doesn't want facts.

All they want is a way to bypass the normal circuitry; safety guidelines,
and common sense be damned.

Not to worry, though. You'll be reading about them soon in the paper.

Steve ;-)

Lots of things carry potential risk, sometimes even life-threatening
risks. When the g'mint makes laws to protect me from myself, they've
gone too far. People dig holes in the ice to go swimming in the dead of
winter. You gonna outlaw that, too? I don't blame the OP for wanting
hotter water and not giving a god damn about someone else's concept of
safety.

My jacuzzi is about thirty years old, I'd guess -- it's a Hawkeye, for
those that might remember. I like my water around 102 or so, that way I
can stay in it as long as I like without getting uncomfortably hot. I
never tested the max, but I'm sure it would climb way the hell up there
if I wanted it to.

Now I'm gonna go stick a knife in the toaster, eat some pork that's pink
in the middle, ride my bike without a helmet, and break another ground
plug off a power tool so it will fit in the outlet without an adaptor.
Why? Because I've evaluated the risk vs. reward, and find the ratio
acceptable to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Just don't expect the police or 911 to rescue you, or the hospital
emergency room to fix you up, or Social Security to give you disability
payments, and I might be ok with your kooky risk/reward evaluation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , CJT
wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Yeah, I'm a regular kook, all right. Why shouldn't I expect those
agencies to take care of me, same as they take care of people who expose
themselves to risks that I consider, well, too risky? Tailgating,
driving drunk, screwing total strangers, smoking, living on **** fast
food and other junk food, refusing to question authority, building homes
in fire or flood zones, living in debt with no cash reserves, going
without insurance, all come readily to mind. You get the idea. I make my
choices, you make yours. The government is welcome to make laws that
protect me from you, but not me from myself. That's bull****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 1:00 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article , CJT
wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

protect me from you, but not me from myself. That's bull****.- Hide quoted text -

I'm with you Smitty. If the guy wants his spa at 108, more power to
him. I doubt half these people so worried about what's gonna happen
even have a spa or know what 104 or 108 is like. Mine is around 106
and I can tell you that I've been in many public spas, at hotels,
resorts, spas, etc that were much hotter. At 106 I have no problem
quickly getting in. At some of these others, they were so hot that I
had to ease in. And people weren't keeling over and dying.

Just because some people get drunk and die in a spa or have some
unknown medical condition doesn't mean JJ can't set his to a temp he
likes. Some people keel over and die jogging from some unknown
medical condition. Should we ban that too or limit how fast you can
jog?

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...

"JJ" wrote in message

[...]

No, I read what you wrote. You raised the spector of lawsuits and
criminal charges over someone setting their hot tub higher than 104.

I said that people pretty much do
what they want. But, by your attitude, you are going to go through your
life and never have a car accident, never know someone who has been
murdered, never lose a part of your body, I could go on. Things happen.

And that has what to do with this?

Rules are meant to be broken. So, there are courts and lawyers to go back
AFTER the fact and say blah blah blah.

FYI, a friend of mine since childhood went to a local hot springs. He had a
heart condition, but did not know about it. He died there. Hot springs not
responsible, as he exposed himself to the danger. They won the lawsuit
because they had it posted.

I see. Your friend died of a pre-existing heart condition and then
the family blames the hot springs and sues. At least they didn't
win. And how do we know the hot springs had anything to do with it?
People with heart problems keel over and die the time. You even hear
occasionally about a school kid dropping dead during gym class. .
Should we ban gym class? How about saunas? How hot are they and how
many people have died in them?

So, to get back to the original point ........... you remember that, don't
you? Yes, you can manipulate the tub to make it hotter. Just realize it
has risks. Especially if someone else is hurt. You, and the OP can do
anything they like in your own house. Darwin awards be damned.

Yes, and we will. I'll just remember not to invite you.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JJ" wrote in message

[...]

Go ahead, kill your wife.

As you said, limiting the temp to 104 is a SAFETY issue. Anybody who gives
advice to override that is in serious legal trouble!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

So, to get back to the original point ........... you remember that,
don't
you? Yes, you can manipulate the tub to make it hotter. Just realize it
has risks. Especially if someone else is hurt. You, and the OP can do
anything they like in your own house. Darwin awards be damned.

Yes, and we will. I'll just remember not to invite you.

Since I won't be getting any awards, I wouldn't go anyway. Now, back into
the killfile with your stupid ass.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote

Now I'm gonna go stick a knife in the toaster, eat some pork that's pink
in the middle, ride my bike without a helmet, and break another ground
plug off a power tool so it will fit in the outlet without an adaptor.
Why? Because I've evaluated the risk vs. reward, and find the ratio
acceptable to me.

Why don't you go stick your dick in the toaster. Be sure to lube it good
first.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote

Now I'm gonna go stick a knife in the toaster, eat some pork that's pink
in the middle, ride my bike without a helmet, and break another ground
plug off a power tool so it will fit in the outlet without an adaptor.
Why? Because I've evaluated the risk vs. reward, and find the ratio
acceptable to me.

Why don't you go stick your dick in the toaster. Be sure to lube it good
first.

Steve

Nah, that might burn. Why don't you go gather up a statistic for me that
shows how many people have been killed sticking a knife in a toaster?
Two parts, please. One pre-pop statistic, and one post-pop statistic.

Hell, I'll make it easier: Tell me, with citation, how many people are
*electrocuted* (shocked all the way to death) by 120 VAC in their home
every year, under any circumstances. (Hint: It's considerably less than
the number of fatal falls *on level ground!*)

You ninnies that are afraid of 120 VAC electricity are the kooks of the
world. I've been knocked across the room a half dozen times by the
40,000 volts in a TV picture tube, and another half-dozen times by the
450 volts of DC in the capacitor bank of big tube stereo amplifiers, in
the previous line of work. I can tell you the caps were worse.

I worked with a guy who could firmly grab the hot and neutral of 120
VAC, one in each hand, and stand there for as long as he wanted to. He
also did the 240 VAC for five or ten seconds at a shot. Neither of us
are dead yet. I'll be sure to post and update you as soon as I get
electrocuted in my home.

Now then, here's an amusing little multiple choice quiz for all you
assholes who tailgate, jabber on the cell phone while driving, etc.:
Approximately what are your chances of *dying* in a car accident,
sometime in your life, in the United States?

a. 1 in 50
b. 1 in 500
c. 1 in 5000
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Mike Dobony" wrote:

As you said, limiting the temp to 104 is a SAFETY issue. Anybody who gives
advice to override that is in serious legal trouble!

Really? I'd love to hear you expound on that. Do you mean anyone who
does the modification has committed a crime? Those who support the OP's
desire to do so? Those who encourage him to? Those who give details
about how to do it? Which laws are we talking about, specifically?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message

"JJ" wrote in message

[...]

I mentioned that, and got jumped all over. INFRINGEMENTS OF PERSONAL
RIGHTS! and all that crap. People who don't read directions, think safety
rules are for the other guy, yet want the biggest bottomfeeder scumsucker of
a tort attorney they can find if they get hurt.

Besides that, if the doofus is too stupid to figure out how to defeat such a
basic electronic device, I would doubt he could follow the directions or
even know what the component looks like.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2007 11:46 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote

[...]

Gee Smitty that's a tough choice. I think in Texas it's about 1 in 100.
But that's Texas.

On another note, I've been bitten by the aquadag, first on a 0A-199. I
think it was an FPS-20 (might have been FPS-27) 'scope. The kind you
see on all the black & white space movies. Not nice. You're right, too
about the caps. We had one tech that thought it was fun to charge up
spare caps and put'em back on the shelf. Made us all real careful.
--

Ted
I wasn't born in Texas but

Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast.
That's why stereo has two channels.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You ninnies that are afraid of 120 VAC electricity are the kooks of the
world. I've been knocked across the room a half dozen times by the 40,000
volts in a TV picture tube, and another half-dozen times by the 450 volts
of DC in the capacitor bank of big tube stereo amplifiers, in the
previous line of work. I can tell you the caps were worse.

That certainly explains plenty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JJ" wrote in message

[...]

thats too hot?- Hide quoted text -

All this heating sounds wasteful? What's wrong with a quick shower
then leave the couple/three inches of warm water in the tub to cool
down to room/house temperature before draining it in order to keep at
least that much energy within the structure.
Since in this climate most months require some heating (around here
very few if any homes have or need AC units). Most heating is by
electricity.
Yesterday (Aug 25th) was a nice clear bright 60 deg F. for example. It
cooled down a bit overnight and today looks like about the same.
Most of our electricity is produced by hydro power, with some oil
burning backup in depths of winter.
Just a thought!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , xPosTech wrote:

On 8/25/2007 11:46 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote

[...]

Well, you're not far off. The answer is a. It's actually 1.8%, so only
about 1 in 56. Of course it's based on miles driven, so the commuters
are going to pay a heavier price in blood than the non-commuters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Criminal charges: ????????? Oh come on now ...............

Not a criminal charge necessarily!
If you are in the USA (or any other part of the world given to law
suits on almost anything the least bit out of the ordinary) possibly
an action by an inurance company to recover damages i.e. death.
Can you just see, say, a CNN headline "I'm afraid I fried my friend"!
Quote: Joe whatshisname in Hot Water Springs, in some state or other,
had tinkered with his hot tub to make it hotter than designed.
Exceeding the US Underwriters Lab. temperature safety guidelines by
several percentage points. He then invited over some friends, one of
whom had an unknown heat allergy. Friend collapsed, was rushed to
local hospital where despite ice packs and other treatment she
expired.
case goes to trial in ..........
Settlements in cases such as these, if negligence, even unintentional
or uninformed can be proven are normally in the several million dollar
range etc. etc.
The manufacturer of the hot tub originally named as co-defendant
declined all responsibility because of the home-made modification to
the heat control That has been accepted by the plaintiff. The sole
defendant will now be the homeowner.
In other words if you modify it don't tell anyone and hide the
changes!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

You ninnies that are afraid of 120 VAC electricity are the kooks of the
world. I've been knocked across the room a half dozen times by the 40,000
volts in a TV picture tube, and another half-dozen times by the 450 volts
of DC in the capacitor bank of big tube stereo amplifiers, in the
previous line of work. I can tell you the caps were worse.

That certainly explains plenty.

Look, Steve, I'm sure you're a nice guy and all that, and I'm very sorry
that you lost your friend. That sucks. But it's you who is choosing to
ignore the facts in this case, maybe because the topic carries some very
real and personal emotional weight for you.

You're missing the logic behind my assertions entirely.

#1 -- I seriously doubt that it's *illegal* for someone to buy a spa for
personal use and modify the safety thermostat for their own personal
comfort. I'm pretty sure this falls in there with tearing the tag off
the mattress, strictly from a *legal* standpoint. Can someone be sued if
someone else is injured or dies on their property? Of course.
Successfully? Depends.

#2 -- I seriously doubt that the number of people who boil themselves to
death in spas is very large, compared to a thousand other "risky"
activities that *you* engage in regularly, without a second thought. Do
you ever go anywhere other than a solid windowless concrete bunker
during a thunderstorm? Do you ever drive across a railroad track without
stopping, looking, and listening for a train? Do you know that trains
collide with vehicles or pedestrians about once *every two hours* in the
U.S.?

#3 -- I seriously believe that the government has no right to make laws
to protect me from myself. Like some of us have mentioned, jogging,
swimming in frozen lakes, and taking a hot bath all carry very real
possibilities of death. Dick Cheney can tell you about the dangers of
hunting.

#4 -- It isn't a crime to die, and it carries no shame. I'm pretty sure
we all do it.

Note that I'm willing to stand factually corrected on any of the above
statements, and I'm willing for you to have a different opinion about
things.

So now, you've suggested I lube up my dick and stick it in a toaster,
and you've insinuated that the electrical shocks I've rec'd have fried
too many of my brain cells. Now, do you want to make another sarcastic
comment, or do you have anything of a non-hysterical nature to actually
contribute, here?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message
All this heating sounds wasteful? What's wrong with a quick shower
then leave the couple/three inches of warm water in the tub to cool
down to room/house temperature before draining it in order to keep at
least that much energy within the structure.

Nothing wrong wit it. You have to balance the savings in heat versus the
energy used when it comes time to scrub the tub more frequently because of
buildup of minerals or scum from the standing water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"terry" wrote in message
All this heating sounds wasteful? What's wrong with a quick shower
then leave the couple/three inches of warm water in the tub to cool
down to room/house temperature before draining it in order to keep at
least that much energy within the structure.

Nothing wrong wit it. You have to balance the savings in heat versus the
energy used when it comes time to scrub the tub more frequently because of
buildup of minerals or scum from the standing water.

If a shower leaves two or three inches of water in the tub, isn't it
time to clean the drain?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JJ" wrote in message

[...]

You mean like your friend's family, who tried to sue the hot springs
because he died of a pre-existing heart condition while there?
According to you, they lost, and rightfully so.

Besides that, if the doofus is too stupid to figure out how to defeat such a
basic electronic device, I would doubt he could follow the directions or
even know what the component looks like.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

And now you've started hurling insults at the OP, who merely politely
asked a very reasonable question. BTW, where's the basic electronic
safety device on the bathroom type of spa tub? You know, the ones
the user fills up with any temp of water that they feel like and are
in many new higher end homes today? How come we aren't hearing
about people dying right and left in those? Hmmm, could it be
because for the most part this whole BS issue is based on a few
hippies in the 70's getting stoned, drunk, passing out in their hot
tubs and expiring?

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/26/2007 10:01 AM Smitty Two said the following:
In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"terry" wrote in message

All this heating sounds wasteful? What's wrong with a quick shower
then leave the couple/three inches of warm water in the tub to cool
down to room/house temperature before draining it in order to keep at
least that much energy within the structure.

Nothing wrong wit it. You have to balance the savings in heat versus the
energy used when it comes time to scrub the tub more frequently because of
buildup of minerals or scum from the standing water.

If a shower leaves two or three inches of water in the tub, isn't it
time to clean the drain?

OK, with all this bickering and insults, which are getting the OP
nowhere, I have the best solution.
The OP should buy a couple of hundred of these and drop them in the tub:
http://tinyurl.com/26s567

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote

In other words if you modify it don't tell anyone and hide the
changes!

Kill someone, then lie about it. Sounds like a plan to me.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

"JJ" wrote in message

We're in the market for a used or new hot tub. One thing we're concerned
about is the maximum operating temperature. It looks as if all hot tub
thermostats are now capped at 104 degrees for safety reasons. That would
probably be OK for me, but for my wife who likes it hot, hot, hot, that
just won't cut it.

[cut]
We've measured water temps in other tubs and hot tubs and I think
somewhere between 106 and 108 would probably be ideal, but at a max temp
of 104, it won't be worth buying. My wife's parents keep their hot tub at
about 112. Ouch! That's too hot for me. I can last about 5 minutes.

I'm late to the party and have no suggestions for your situation. I
am, however, amazed that your wife can tolerate (nay, enjoy!) such
high temperatures. We are in western New York, too, up on Lake
Ontario, and we keep our outdoor tub at 100 or 101F, even when the
temps are in the teens. I just don't like the water that much hotter
because then I can't stay in there, and what's the point of running
this hot tub if I can't have a nice long soak? I will say that our
hot tub gets so hot during the summer (it's in direct sun all day)
that we no longer run it in July and August. Time to fill it up soon!

A thought: are these other tubs you've been testing out fully
insulated on all five sides? Ours is a Beachcomber, with the motor
OUTSIDE the tub (it's in the step platform), so we have insulation on
all four walls plus the floor, and the temperature drops very slowly
when the cover is off. Great water circulation and temperature
retention. I wonder if these other tubs have even temperatures
throughout or are hot just near the thermostat/heater.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to the few of you who posted suggestions. I was afraid there
might be some people warning me off of higher temperatures, but I wasn't
prepared for the mass of posts.

Thanks to the person who posted the link at http://www.rhtubs.com/104f.htm
While it doesn't give any advice about hacking the thermostat, it does
confirm that I'm not totally crazy to want the temperature hotter. And
I don't think I'm in the running for a Darwin award or likely to be put
on trial for murdering my wife. If we get too hot, we get out for a
while or turn the temp down.

From the first paragraph on that web site: "Even today, in Japan, many
public bath houses have water up to 115 ºF"

As it is now, my wife takes tubs at least 3 times a week in our indoor
jacuzzi tub (wich won't comfortably seat two) with initial water
temperatures at about 112 - measured with a thermometer. So, setting
the temp above 104 would not be anything new.

We're looking for a smaller sized hot tub - and with the amount that my
wife likes to get in the tub, it might be more energy efficient to keep
a well insulated hot tub warm than to be continually heating up the 45
ºF well water at ~40 gallons a pop.

If anyone else would like to post their advice on the easiest or most
effective way to get around the 104 degree cap, please do so.

Thanks.

-JJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
JJ wrote:

Thanks to the few of you who posted suggestions. I was afraid there
might be some people warning me off of higher temperatures, but I wasn't
prepared for the mass of posts.

Thanks to the person who posted the link at http://www.rhtubs.com/104f.htm
While it doesn't give any advice about hacking the thermostat, it does
confirm that I'm not totally crazy to want the temperature hotter. And
I don't think I'm in the running for a Darwin award or likely to be put
on trial for murdering my wife. If we get too hot, we get out for a
while or turn the temp down.

From the first paragraph on that web site: "Even today, in Japan, many
public bath houses have water up to 115 ºF"

As it is now, my wife takes tubs at least 3 times a week in our indoor
jacuzzi tub (wich won't comfortably seat two) with initial water
temperatures at about 112 - measured with a thermometer. So, setting
the temp above 104 would not be anything new.

We're looking for a smaller sized hot tub - and with the amount that my
wife likes to get in the tub, it might be more energy efficient to keep
a well insulated hot tub warm than to be continually heating up the 45
ºF well water at ~40 gallons a pop.

If anyone else would like to post their advice on the easiest or most
effective way to get around the 104 degree cap, please do so.

Thanks.

-JJ

I am not an expert, and I try to refrain from playing one on usenet, and
it's quite likely that I'm wrong, more often than not. But barring any
input from someone in the biz who actually knows, I'll attempt to point
your brain in the correct direction.

I think there are three things in the temp control loop: The thermostat,
the high limit switch, and the flow sensor.

Obviously you don't want the heater running if the water isn't flowing,
because that would seriously overheat the water in the heater tube or
burn out the heater. That's a good safety feature. But some spas limit
the flow to twenty minutes at a time, which would of course shut down
the heater no matter the temp. Not a desirable feature in your case.

The high limit switch is a secondary safety device in case the
thermostat fails. Probably well hot enough for your tastes.

So that leaves the thermostat. Most likely it has an adjustment screw.
Ask the dealer. Say, "hey, what if I crank this all the way up, and it
only heats to 100? Is there an adjustment that I can use to calibrate
it?"

If adjusting the thermostat doesn't properly boil your wife, you could
short it, which would leave the heater running wide open, until the high
limit switch trips. If you wanted to get fancy, you could run it through
an external control, either on/off or adjustable. Lots of possibilities,
depending on your desires and skill level.

Uh-oh, gotta go, the thermal police are knocking on my door...

Posted to alt.home.repair
ECB ECB is offline

replying to JJ, ECB wrote:
jj21 wrote:

[...]

On mine (Gecko controller), you can get to 106 by holding down the temp-up
button after you've set it to max temp. Good luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 03:44:01 +0000, ECB
wrote:

replying to JJ, ECB wrote:
jj21 wrote:

[...]

This message is from Thu, 23 Aug 2007.
See he
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg04744.html

By now, the OP probably burned down the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This message is from Thu, 23 Aug 2007.
See he
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg04744.html

By now, the OP probably burned down the house.

Example dot com. Another moaner, using a
web forum. Who has no clue what a usenet is.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to SteveB, Rick Dodridge wrote:
get off the cross SteveB we need the wood

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ub-244424-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mike Dobony, Highoctaneconcentrates wrote:
Can some one say squar people safty net binky grone ass men hot springs can
kiss my ass hope thay get sued when some one dies in my tub thats 110 👌ðŸ¼

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ub-244424-.htm