Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Noddy Noddy is offline

Default Bridgeport milling machines.

"David Billington" wrote in message

I own one of those offshore Bridgeports, an Adcock and Shipley, made in
the UK. I suspect it was just easier/cheaper to make on this side of the
pond for the UK and European markets rather than ship them across the
Atlantic. I live in the UK so I suspect most I come across are made here
or were.

A fair few of the Adcock & Shipley made machines found there way down here
to Oz as well, as up until the early '70's or so fairly generous tax
concessions were offered when buying from the "Mother Country".

That's largely the reason why so much of our imported machinery and
automotive stuff came from England or Canada.

--
Regards,
Noddy.