Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default source for replacement friction disc?

E Kinney wrote:

I've never thought of a chain hoist as a precision machine. Does the
friction material have to be perfectly round that you have to do all the
steps you have described?
Why not just use the technique for making common gaskets?

That's simply the only way I know of to cut clean disks in tough rubber
sheets. How would you do it? The OD would be pretty easy, could cut that
with tin snips. But the ID - oy vey. Well, maybe a hole saw would work.

No, it isn't precision, but the closer you cut it to perfect, the more
material you have that bears so the better it will work. You could hack
out the middle with a chisel and make a square hole, but the friction
disc would have less bearing area ..

GWE