Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default abestos in the air, analysis recommendation?

In the mid 50s, I took high school art class. We were given asbestos powder
to mix with water to use for modelling media. We also handled asbestos as
it was wrapped around a furnace that we took out and used asbestos paper to
seal ducts on the new furnace. I am still alive and kicking.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Zyp wrote:

I'm glad you believe that Steve;

Ask my father about it. He died from asbestos exposure. It's a
serious and real threat. It does not *take* 20 years *of* exposure,
it takes a minor amout of exposure and does not show up *until* 20
years.
Asbestos fibers are lighter than air so the fibers never really
"settle" like dust might. The fibers also have a "barbed hook" of
sorts and once they become imbeded in your lungs, they can't be
removed. You body reacts by building a "scare tissue" of sorts
around the sight in an attempt to protect you. After the 20 year(s)
mark, a cancer known as Mesotheloma develops.

http://abestos-cancer.com/

Thanks for the link. EVERY SINGLE REFERENCE on that page refers, in one
way or another, to LAWYERS who will help you sue if anyone ever mentioned
asbestos in your hearing.

Here's a better quote:

"Since the early 1940s, millions of American workers have been exposed to
asbestos. Health hazards from asbestos fibers have been recognized in
workers exposed in shipbuilding trades, asbestos mining and milling,
manufacturing of asbestos textiles and other asbestos products, insulation
work in the construction and building trades, and a variety of other
trades. Demolition workers, drywall removers, asbestos removal workers,
firefighters, and automobile workers also may be exposed to asbestos
fibers. However, recent studies do not support an increased risk of lung
cancer or mesothelioma among automobile mechanics exposed to asbestos
through brake repair..."

The above from the National Cancer Institute:
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f.../Risk/asbestos