Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

Default abestos in the air, analysis recommendation?

Steve Barker wrote:
The damage is done. Turn on the attic fan, open a window and it's
gone. If it's been over 4 hours ago, it's gone. Millions of popcorn
ceilings are scraped clean and no one worries about the asbestoes
that may be there. I know I don't. It takes 20 years of daily
exposure before you MIGHT display a symptom 20 years after that. Asbestoes
is all hype. Another government intervention on a good
product.
steve

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, we had some popcorn ceiling removed from a room. That ceiling had
abestos (the neighbor had their popcorn ceiling analyzed). Now we are
concerned that the air in that room has abestos. Is this a 'valid'
concern? Can anyone recommend a company which can 'analyze' the air
in that room (does such thing exist?). Thanks.

Terry

I'm glad you believe that Steve;

Ask my father about it. He died from asbestos exposure. It's a serious and
real threat. It does not *take* 20 years *of* exposure, it takes a minor
amout of exposure and does not show up *until* 20 years.

Asbestos fibers are lighter than air so the fibers never really "settle"
like dust might. The fibers also have a "barbed hook" of sorts and once
they become imbeded in your lungs, they can't be removed. You body reacts
by building a "scare tissue" of sorts around the sight in an attempt to
protect you. After the 20 year(s) mark, a cancer known as Mesotheloma
develops.

http://abestos-cancer.com/

Asbestos left alone is not harmful unless it becomes *friable*
[disintegrates]. Otherwise if you do remove it, have professionals do the
job. It's really not that expensive, and you avoid risk to your family and
friends.

BTW: Blowing around with a bunch of fans is not going to remove air borne
asbestos. Be smart - have the air in your home tested by a professional
company. If you value your family and friends, this is the smart chocie.

--
Zyp