Posted to alt.home.repair
Uncle Monster Uncle Monster is offline

Default HVAC air intake near gas heater

wrote:
A picture says a thousand words. Your picture helps clarify

the situation.

I have pictures of almost the entire home on flickr, mostly private
pictures, for situations like this. I went wild w/the digital camera.

My concern about make-up air can be answered

if what looks like a six inch round pipe between the return
air duct and the (furnace/air handler/evaporator coil) is
open at the bottom where it is behind the "L" shaped portion
of the return air duct.

Not sure what you mean by open. As I recall, it mates up to the duct
work there. I'll have to check when I get back to the house.

If the pipe is open and goes through

the roof and has a rain cap, you're in good shape as far as
preventing combustion byproducts being drawn into the house.

Yes, this goes to the roof and has a rain cap.
I'm assuming this opening allows combustion gases to vent out through
it? I really don't know this stuff at all.

In your next post you mention that the basement is now

finished with this equipment now closed in. Your hiring of a
duct man to seal off the return air vent and run a new return
into the finished area is the proper course of action and you
should have no problems.

He's coming out Sat., and will do the work the Sat. after.

Thanks all! I have a carbon monoxide detector upstairs, which has
never gone past 0. I have dogs in the house and would hate for
something to happen the times I am gone.

I have to complement you for being "AWARE" and curious.
So many people have been harmed because of ignorance of
their environment. Ignorance is not a dirty word, I'm
ignorant about a lot of things (like producing a Broadway
play, don't know a thing about it) but I can read and ask
questions. Ignorant means you don't know but you can learn,
stupid means no way. Keep on asking questions and learning
then one day you'll be the one people look to for answers.

[8~{} Uncle Monster