Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default A question for the group

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:08:06 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:
Any metalworking operation which can be done by machine can also be
done by hand. Is this statement true oe false?

One could argue that anything done by mills, drills,lathes, and grinders
could all be done by hand. Albeit at an extreme loss in productivity and
accuracy.

if one would add submicron parts and things made with EDM machines... These
are impossible to make by hand. One example part is made near me. A computer
hard disk is a bit like the old phonograph player. The arm and pickup for
the disks is called a suspension assembly. A thousand men in a thousand
years couldn't make one of these by hand.

The ones (flying head arms) I've seen could have been, if you're allowed
to use a microscope, and don't have to manufacture the wire. Can you buy
spring steel in a sheet? (I mean, of course you can, but for the purposes
of this test? ;-) )

Thanks,
Rich