Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default A question for the group

. 3.70...
"Paul K. Dickman" fired this volley in
:

. 3.70...

One cannot do spinning without a machine.
LLoyd

Sure you can. But then it isn't called spinning, it is called raising
and it has been done for a thousand years.

Raising ISN'T spinning merely because of their names. Although similar
shapes may be made, the spinning process yeilds a product that is
distinctive, and cannot be exactly duplicated without a machine.

(I know about the colonial silversmiths, and the degree to which raising
was, um.... RAISED!)

LLoyd

Horse hockey.
Spinning is a production form of raising. The process by which the metal is
simultaneously shrunk in one direction while stretched in another is
precisely the same. Only the tools are different.
Spinning's advantage is that it is less labor intensive, readily uses
thinner materials, forces circular symmetry, and ,with the use of forms,
takes the skill needed for duplication out of the operator's hands.

Take a look at :

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pkdickma...803850205849/0

And tell me which parts have been spun and which parts have been hammer
raised. (I'll give you a hint. It started as an experiment in spinning
mokume gane. But rapid workhardening and my own lack of skill led to
delamination of the alloys in one piece, and I chose to hammer form it
instead.)

Hammer raising's prime advantage is that circular symmetry is nor required.
The reason you don't see a lot of raisings that look like spinnings is the
same reason that you don't see a lot of castings that look like weldments.
Why spend all that time making something that looks like something you could
have made in 1/4 of an hour.

The colonial smiths did beautiful work even though they were hobbled by a
lack of support industries in their day,but they were ham-fisted compared to
the men swung a hammer during the industrial revolution.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pkdickma...804441897228/1

The 6-way is seamless. I am pretty sure the elbow joint has seams in all the
tubes.

Paul K. Dickman