DoN. Nichols

Default Welch 1402 advice Please

In article ,
Stan Schaefer wrote:

[ ... ]

One thing I'm setting up is a reservoir tank set, I'll pump those down
with the inlet shut off, then I can get instant vacuum on my project
when I open the inlet ball valve. I'm thinking of using it on stuff
like small vacuum forming frames and epoxy degassing bell jars where
you need vacuum pronto and can't wait for pump down. I've got a set
of tanks of about 50 liters total volume, that should be enough for
what I want to do.

That sounds useful -- but be careful. Tanks made for pressure
may not be capable of handling a vacuum well. Somewhere out there there
is a photo that someone posted a link to here a few years ago. It was a
tank car -- for natural gas, I think -- which had been undergoing a
steam cleaning when quitting time came. Someone just shut the valves on
it, while it was still loaded with steam, and went home. The steam
condensed, making a partial vacuum, and the tank car crumpled. from the
pressure differential.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564