Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default HVAC air intake near gas heater

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:bc2b7$46cc3989$9440c41e$13704
@STARBAND.NET:

"Moe Jones" wrote in message
I have a home with a basement. We had it built in 1999. The HVAC
(gas) sits right next to the gas water heater. This utility room is
around 20' x 8' with a tight door, located in the basement. There
are two cold air returns on the 1st floor.

The HVAC metal ducting that goes into the attic for the cold air
returns has two large holes in it with vents, right beside the gas
water heater. If I remove the grills and cover up these so they
can't get air, the duct work at that location gets sucked in slightly
due to the negative air pressure (I think I'm saying this right.)

I read in a Popular Mechanics that you don't want cold air returns
near the furnace. I know nothing about this stuff. Are these vents
cold air returns? Is this an issue? Should I have these vents

closed
off and another cold air return piped to the hallway?

Thank you;

Edwin

Could the ducts be for combustion air?

Not when it effects the return air ducting.

The correct phrasing would be: Not when it affects the return air ducting.

Of course now you'll claim that you knew that. Sure, we believe you, uh-
hunh...

Oh my, the idiot police have arrived... an e for an a...

However, my statement *is* true, unlike a lot of your ****.