Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Bob is offline

Default Detroit 353 diesel -- aluminum block? How to tell?

On Aug 21, 11:35 am, "jusme" wrote:
Bob,

What size is the hull and of what material is it made?

Thanks

"jusme" wrote in message

What size is the hull and what material is it made of?

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking at a nice little fishing boat/cruiser with a Detroit 353,
only about 1000 hours on it, runs great. I know this is one of the
more reliable diesels ever made, but I have heard some not-so-good
things about the ones that came with aluminum blocks. The boat was
built in 1987, so the engine is at least that old. The owner doesn't
know much about it.

Is there a way to tell which version it is?

Thanks,

Bob- Hide quoted text -

It's an ex-Coast Guard 27' utility boat. Hull is in excellent
condition, deck was spongy, but deck and house have been
professionally replaced and look nice. It's in running condition, but
needs to have the cabin fitted out and equipment (which is present)
reinstalled. Haven't seen the underwater profile yet, but am assuming
with that power it will run at semi-displacement speeds, which is fine
for me.

Bob