Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Default Working in Cellulose Insulation...

Felder wrote:

Howdy all. Does anyone have a tip for working in an attic covered with
cellulose insulation? We have knob and tube wiring in the attic
covered with mounds of insulation at least 18 inches thick. I need a
way to get the cellulose insulation out of the way so I can trace the
wiring and inspect/replace it. I can't just shovel the stuff out of
the way because of the wiring. I'm tempted to take my leaf blower up
there this weekend and see how that works. Anyway, I'm open for
suggestions.

Thanks,
Felder

Can you just scoop it with gloved hands?
How about a large shop vac?

BTW, insulation over K&T wiring maybe kind of iffy.
I am not sure, but you may want to check into that.
It seems that NEC prohibits insulation over "concealed knob and tube"
(392.12 NEC 2005),
but seems to be silent on "open wiring on insulators" (Article 398 NEC 2005).
Various jurisdictions seem to sometimes have different rules than NEC.