Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.boats
[email protected] brucedpaige@gmail.com is offline

Default Detroit 353 diesel -- aluminum block? How to tell?

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:00:33 -0700, Tim wrote:

Bob wrote:
Wow, a 3-53 in a boat"? 159 cubic inches!

is this for a gen set? or the main engine?- Hide quoted text -

Tim --

Yep, they used to be pretty common main engines in small workboats and
utility craft, now mostly used for deck engines and gen sets. The
marine engine configuration produces just over 100 hp naturally
aspirated.

Bob

Interesting. I know the old 6-71 "jimmy" was a 426 CID and was rated
at 238 hp in a standard (not marine) configuration. So I'm amazed that
the little 3-53 can obtain 100hp.

If you have worked around the 71 series and somebody lights off a 53
you'll figure out real quick how they got that horsepower. They were
real screamers for their day.

The only ones I worked on were in 5 ton yard cranes but I believe
there was a turbo option for them also.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)