Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.boats
Calif Bill Calif Bill is offline

Default Detroit 353 diesel -- aluminum block? How to tell?

"Tim" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Aug 20, 10:41 am, Bob wrote:

Yep, they used to be pretty common main engines in small workboats and
utility craft, now mostly used for deck engines and gen sets. The
marine engine configuration produces just over 100 hp naturally
aspirated.

Bob-

Bob, by searching around the typical listings on a naturally aspirated
3-53 is about 75 hp. Which I feel is more realistic. I could be
wrong, though.

http://www.usedboats.com/index.php?s...istoryback =1

http://www.adieselengine.com/new_page_1.htm
shows 101 hp for the 3-53 and 175 for the 3-53T And since it shows a T I
would assume turbocharged. As the 6-71 with a blower was a 6V-71. the same
blower that was used for years on dragsters and driven via a Gilmer belt.