Posted to alt.home.repair
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default HDTV antennas & complaints

wrote:
On Aug 20, 4:55 pm, jJim McLaughlin

SNIP HAPPENS

You don't need an HDTV. All you need is an ATSC digital tuner which
will deliver a signal compatible with your existing TV. The govt has
approved a plan to give consumers two $40 coupons that can be used
toward the purchase of two converter boxes. These tuners are already
available for under $100, and will likely be $50-75 by the time you
need them.

Interesting. First I have heard of the coupon thing. Sure hope it
happens.
There are 8 NTSC TVs in this house, as well as 3 NTSC VCRs. All
are on a Comcast "Basic" cale, not HD cable.

I am *not* looking forward to what this "improvement" is going to cost me.

If you have cable, the improvement will cost you zippo. The cable box
already supplies NTSC, S Video, Component, whatever you're using.
That isn't going to change. The only folks impacted are those that
receive NTSC over the air.

I did not know that.

Thanks for the good news.

The coupon thing is a done deal. You can google or check the FCC.

I'll look forward to seeing if there is a secondary market for the coupons.