Posted to alt.home.repair
Freckles[_2_] Freckles[_2_] is offline

Default HDTV antennas & complaints

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 20, 1:45 pm, "Freckles" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

On Aug 20, 4:28 am, "Freckles" wrote:
wrote in message

. ..

I heard that in another year or so we will all be forced to either
buy
a HDTV or buy a converter. Having all standard tv sets, and I am
neither able to afford a HDTV, nor am I impressed by their picture,
am not at all happy about this. I live in the country where the
only
means to get tv channels is to either spend half my paycheck on
satellite, or use an antenna on the roof. I chose the antenna, and
most of the time I get fairly good reception on a few local
channels.

I suppose I will have no choice but to buy a convertor, but I surely
will make a big fuss about it with whatever governmental agency is
behind this conspiracy to promote the sales of HDTVs and the crappy
broken up and spotty pictures they produce. I sure hope that the
convertor will produce a better picture on a standard tv than that
on
the actual hdtvs.

Anyhow, my question is whether I will also have to buy a new rooftop
antenna. My present antenna broke during a windstorm and I
temporarily fixed it with some tubing and ducttape. I was planning
buy a new antenna when a friend told me that he thinks I will need a
HDTV antenna too, but was not sure if an old antenna would also
work.
Does anyone know? Will I be able to use the same rotor or does that
need to be changed too?

If anyone knows what government agency to file a complaint about
this
HDTV conspiracy, please let me know. Tv channels have been the same
since the beginning of television, and now we got these republican
morons forcing us to change just so the HDTV companies can rob
people
charging them ten or more times the price of a regular tv and giving
them a lousy picture. Just the same story as always these days, pay
more, and get less..... I wonder how much money the republicans are
getting to shove this HDTV **** on us?

James

Unless the program you are viewing on a HDTV is broadcast in HD, your
picture will not be very good. If fact it probably wont be as good as
the
ones you receive on a regular TV set.

And on what basis are you making this claim that a std def picture on
ATSC isn't going to look as good as it would on NTSC? The picture
should be better. No more ghosting, no more snow. Now, I'm sure
there are pathological cases, where the ATSC transmitter is located
somewhere different from the NTSC one, blocked, greater distance,
etc. But that is the exception, not typical.

From personal experience and the experiences of many family members and
friends.

Without clarification of what you were watching and on what eqpt, the
above statement is just about meaningless. For example,you could
take an ATSC signal that is being broadcast at low resolution, ie
programming that is not offered in HD and watch it on a 65" HDTV. Of
course that will look like crap, because you're blowing up a low
resolution signal. You could take the same programming in NTSC, put
it on the same big set and it will look like crap too. Put the same
thing on a small TV and it will look as good as NTSC. But some people
seeing it on the big TV attribute the problem to ATSC, or HDTV.

What's so difficult to understand? When a program is broadcast in HD and