Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default HDTV antennas & complaints

wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 05:28:56 -0400, "Freckles"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

I heard that in another year or so we will all be forced to either buy
a HDTV or buy a converter. Having all standard tv sets, and I am
neither able to afford a HDTV, nor am I impressed by their picture, I
am not at all happy about this. I live in the country where the only
means to get tv channels is to either spend half my paycheck on
satellite, or use an antenna on the roof. I chose the antenna, and
most of the time I get fairly good reception on a few local channels.

I suppose I will have no choice but to buy a convertor, but I surely
will make a big fuss about it with whatever governmental agency is
behind this conspiracy to promote the sales of HDTVs and the crappy
broken up and spotty pictures they produce. I sure hope that the
convertor will produce a better picture on a standard tv than that on
the actual hdtvs.

Anyhow, my question is whether I will also have to buy a new rooftop
antenna. My present antenna broke during a windstorm and I
temporarily fixed it with some tubing and ducttape. I was planning to
buy a new antenna when a friend told me that he thinks I will need a
HDTV antenna too, but was not sure if an old antenna would also work.
Does anyone know? Will I be able to use the same rotor or does that
need to be changed too?

If anyone knows what government agency to file a complaint about this
HDTV conspiracy, please let me know. Tv channels have been the same
since the beginning of television, and now we got these republican
morons forcing us to change just so the HDTV companies can rob people
charging them ten or more times the price of a regular tv and giving
them a lousy picture. Just the same story as always these days, pay
more, and get less..... I wonder how much money the republicans are
getting to shove this HDTV **** on us?

James

Unless the program you are viewing on a HDTV is broadcast in HD, your
picture will not be very good. If fact it probably wont be as good as the
ones you receive on a regular TV set. However, if it is a HD program the
picture will be extremely clear and beautiful when viewed on A HDTV, if not
something is very wrong.

They have a big screen HDTV at a local fast food restaurant. It's
always tuned to CNN News. (I guess that helps a person digest their
food). Anyhow, I cant get CNN news on my antenna, so I assume the
restaurant is connected to cable tv. Wouldn't cable tv be sending in
HDTV format? All I know is that the picture seems to have sparklers
as I'd descibe them. Sort of like the 4th of july sparklers. Small
flashes of light that are very irritating. Another thing, the faces
are off color, appearing to have like shades of blue and green for
shadows. The faces look real fake, more like a drawn cartoon than an
actual person. The most annoying thing is that the picture often
seems to get stuck for a second or so, kind of like watching a
streaming video on the computer (using a 56k modem) and the video is
not downloading fast enough. I sometimes get a little "snow" on my
standard tv, but I can live with that much better than flashes of
light, fake looking people, and picture delays.

I also saw a demo HDTV at a department store that had the picture in
blocks. It looked like someone took a 200X200 pixel photo on a
computer and blew it up to 1200X1200. It was all large blocks of of
broken up picture that seemed like it could not keep up with the speed
of the change in the pciture. My guess would be that this set was
defective, but not the one at the restaurrant. How the store expects
to sell hdtvs using that POS for a demo is beyond me.

Hi,
HDTV sets come in many different shape and forms, Plasma, LCD,
projection(LCD, DLP) and different quality. It's not a matter of only
watching off the air program(some HD, some standard old format but more
and more HD now). Also when you play DVD material on HDTV set you'll
notice huge difference. And you can add good surround sound system to
create a home theater. Good picture is only half of it unless you
complement it with a good sound system.