Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Accessories That Become Necessities

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:52:04 -0400, "Tom Nie" wrote:

Said as only George can say.

If everyone was all they think they are this would be such a wonderful
world

Charlie, you just turning and trying. One of these days you just might
reach
those lofty heights. Meanwhile, keep communicating candidly with the rest
of
us as we journey along in our ignorance with you LOL & :-)

TomNie

I don't know what Tom said, but I like the way he said it...

I think Tom values his opinions as anyone else does. I value mine as well.
When I say that speed change doesn't matter to me except to slow for an
out-of-balance piece, and that any tool can be stopped from cutting by not
advancing and steadied while the lathe is turned off by letting the bevel
ride on the piece and rest, I mean just that. Consider the classic
reciprocating lathe where that was done alternately as the piece was rotated
into and away from the edge. It's a simple concept. Now expand your mind a
touch and consider that when you can't see it, you can still feel what's
happening. Charlie's contention that some things need to be stopped to move
the tool to a new cutting position doesn't make sense, because the tool must
still be steadied until the rotation ceases. He's doing it, he just doesn't
choose to acknowledge it. It's similar to people who say they must have
infinitely variable speed, and then don't vary it as they're cutting. They
still have one speed at a time!

Floor switches are a potential problem, both for their position beneath
shavings generated, and the dampness of green wood shavings. If the switch
place there is not just a break, but also a make, the chances of initiating
rotation accidentally must also be considered. I prefer the method of
mounting the switch above and behind the ways, out of the damp and the mess,
and out of the throw zone for faceplate, though not just faceplate,
mounting.

Doesn't matter what you're cutting, though for some reason Charlie decided
it only counted in bowls of a certain type.