Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ancient_Hacker Ancient_Hacker is offline

Default Weird power transformer problem

This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

I'm repairing a sick Tek 1502 TDR. Several transistors are blown in
the power supply and the nicad pack looks like it's been overheated.

I replace the shorted parts and apply power through a variac,
slowly. WTF? I have the variac up to about 45 volts AC out of 120
and the power supply output voltages are up to normal! Even more
bizarre there's 12 volts across the main filter capacitor, rated at 16
volts! No way I can turn up the variac any more without blowing this
capacitor.

I first think: Aha, somebody set the jumpers to the wrong line
voltage!, But no, that's backwards thinking, I'm putting in 120, and
a quick look shows the jumpers are set properly, with the two
primaries in parallel, just as it should be for 120 VAC in.

Aha, I think, somebody replaced the power transformer with one meant
to put out 24 volts. But no, the tranny looks original, and the part
number matches the one on the schematic.

Now I'm totally stumped. It's the right transformer but it puts out
like 28 VAC no load instead of 12 to 14 volts expected.

Put the transformer on the LC bridge --

primary #1: 72.4 ohms 2.18H, Q = 8

Primary #2: 84.2 ohms, 2.2H, Q = 7

secondary: 89 mH, Q = 6

So apparently there are no opens or shorts.

Anybody have any idea how this transformer is violating the laws of
physics?